Annoyance........please help............

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having some problems, please help

Hello ~
I've spent the past weekend swapping out the old 4.2 for a brand new one out of my 97 150. Small bumps along the road that I was able to cover but I'm currently having a horrible time aligning the transmission and engine...... any pointers out there from the more experienced? Any suggestions would be of great help and would save me many moments of rage.... thanks

Last edited by npsmonkbiz; 01-21-2007 at 06:28 PM. Reason: increase clarity
Old 01-21-2007, 06:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Try using a couple of long bolts as guides. I have used two bolts about 3 inches long and cut the heads off. Screw them into the engine buckle up bolt holes using the opposite outside holes.Then slide the trans over them using the respective bolt holes obviously. It usually helps get things lined up easier. Good luck

Old 01-21-2007, 06:33 PM
true, thanks very much

Old 01-22-2007, 03:51 AM
ok......so apparently there is an alignment peg on the motor which is not allowing the tranny to align properly. This is because there exists an identical alignment peg on the transmission in the spot where the first should go...... what the heck?! Does this peg simply pull out/screw out, is not meant to be removed ever and therefore I should drill it out.......? I have no idea, please help this is an extremely bothersome hang up as my truck is still sitting in my garage not being driven.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Had the same thing happen when I did the swap in the Explorer. I just ground them both off. After that it went in as it should. I couldnt get either one out, even with a torch to heat them, dont waste your time playing with those.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:07 AM
those are alignment dowel pins. they align the crank center line to the transmisission center line. helps reduce tranny seal and bearing failures.

not a good idea at all to grind off. it appears that when you pulled the engine one of the dowels stayed in the transmission.

there are several methods to remove.
1. if the dowels is not into a blind hole try knocking it out from the bottom or back side with a good punch and BFH ( big freaking hammer) . don't wail too hard and break a block or tranni case
2. if that fails try heat- also once you heat it take a candle and touch it to,the dowel and block. capillary action will draw the wax into the bore.then use the hammer
3. get a new pair of vice grips cause the teeth are sharp and grab the dowel as tight and you can and try to twist - you may want to soak it over night with WD40 or use the heat and wax trick. sometimes it helps to grind flats on the dowel to better grip it.
4. grab dowel as tight as you can and hit he vice grips on the side with a hammer. one of the few times its ok to hammer on a good tool.
5. center punch the dowel and drill a pilot hole axially in the dowel keep enlarging the hole and eventually the dowel will collapse enough to loosen it and then get out the vice grips

I use a $35 dollar engine tilter from Harbor to exactly position the engine to the tranny. I also make sure the dowels are clean and burr free and the same with the holes. I have even slightly enlarged the chamfer. And i always put a little EP grease on the pins. Engine always mates upr eal nice .

hope this helps

Last edited by rmeidlinger; 01-24-2007 at 01:09 AM.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:38 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rmeidlinger
5. center punch the dowel and drill a pilot hole axially in the dowel keep enlarging the hole and eventually the dowel will collapse enough to loosen it and then get out the vice grips

i work in a press, we do our own rebuilds and we run into some weird fitment problems. this method works great with some lube.