First time Ford owner... need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time Ford owner... need advice.

Brand new here! After owning 4 GM trucks over the past 20 years with good luck I decided to go with Ford this time because the GMs are butt ugly and Ford claims more power. I bought a 2004 F150 Supercab FX4 with only 7000 miles. The truck looks new in every way including not a scratch in the bed. So far I like it with a couple exceptions, 1. It has adjustable pedals and with them all the way forward it still feels like they are too close to me and I get a leg cramp. If I move the seat back till it feels OK I have to stretch to reach the steering wheel. I am 5'9" and can't seem to be comfortable on long trips. Anybody else have this problem? What can be done about it?
2. Ford claims 300 HP but it doesn't feel like it(dog) and the best I have gotten is 13 MPG. Does this sound normal?
3. The drive by wire gas pedal sucks! I have trouble feathering the throttle for a smooth ride. Is it just me?
Other then that I love the look and the ride. I sure hope this will be as good or better then my GM trucks were!
Thanks for anything you guys can offer!

Old 01-16-2007, 02:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i owned 3 dodge trucks before i made the switch to ford. i didnt like the seats at first but after a few weeks i got used to them. and the size compared to a dakota, f150 is huge in every way.you will get used to her. 7,000k do maintanance by the book should get 200K no problem. and if u do have a issue plenty of experts on here to help.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:36 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by ihctractor
Brand new here! After owning 4 GM trucks over the past 20 years with good luck I decided to go with Ford this time because the GMs are butt ugly and Ford claims more power. I bought a 2004 F150 Supercab FX4 with only 7000 miles. The truck looks new in every way including not a scratch in the bed. So far I like it with a couple exceptions, 1. It has adjustable pedals and with them all the way forward it still feels like they are too close to me and I get a leg cramp. If I move the seat back till it feels OK I have to stretch to reach the steering wheel. I am 5'9" and can't seem to be comfortable on long trips. Anybody else have this problem? What can be done about it?
2. Ford claims 300 HP but it doesn't feel like it(dog) and the best I have gotten is 13 MPG. Does this sound normal?
3. The drive by wire gas pedal sucks! I have trouble feathering the throttle for a smooth ride. Is it just me?
Other then that I love the look and the ride. I sure hope this will be as good or better then my GM trucks were!
Thanks for anything you guys can offer!
Hope your truck turns out to be a good one. I too came over from a Silverado. You should check out investing in a tuner, either Edge or Xcal2. I have the Edge and it makes a world of difference with these trucks. Do a search on tuners, and you will find lots to read.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:37 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Its a dog b.c its so heavy, 13 mpg is normal, and you can take the 2" lift blocks or get a spacer up front to level it out, and the seats feel better. Im 6'6" and cant get the pedals, or seat further away from eachother

Old 01-16-2007, 05:33 PM
I'm another traditional Chevy owner; the main reason I came over to Ford was because of the stronger frame (as compared to the GMT-800 GMs; I can't afford a new (GMT-900) GM) and the (automatic) transmission (I never could fully trust the 4L60E in my '02 Silverado; it never let me down, but I had LOTS of problems with the earlier cousin of the 4L60E, the 700R4).

I, too, am not terribly impressed with the 3v 5.4L power. It feels pretty strong right off idle, but seems to run out of breath above about 3500 or so. I do have an Edge on the way, though.

Anyhow, I'm sort of getting into the character/ergonomics of the truck now, and when compared to my '02 Chevy, I'd have to simply say that the Ford is just different. Not really worse, not really better... just different.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by L98_S10
I'm another traditional Chevy owner; the main reason I came over to Ford was because of the stronger frame (as compared to the GMT-800 GMs; I can't afford a new (GMT-900) GM) and the (automatic) transmission (I never could fully trust the 4L60E in my '02 Silverado; it never let me down, but I had LOTS of problems with the earlier cousin of the 4L60E, the 700R
I agree, I felt the newer Fords were built stronger then the newer GMs and the Fords are better looking. I know what you mean by the tranny problems. My K2500 Sierra blew tranny fluid out the vent every time I pulled a heavy load and it constantly was hunting for the right gear. GM never could figure out why.

Thanks for the responses. I think I will like this truck, I just need to grow into it a little longer (get the seat molded to my back side).

Quick Reply: First time Ford owner... need advice.