lean on bank2 question

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 09:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lean on bank2 question

Hi folks,
My truck is giving me a service engine soon light. I had the code read and it says it is running lean on bank 2 I did a search and it seems most folks attribute this to a vacume leak. The headers o my truck right now are shot (full of pinholes) so I ordered a new set. I will be installing them this weekend. My question is can the bad headers also cause this condition and if it is the vacume leake where is the most common place to find it? thanks in advance.

Len

Old 12-07-2006, 12:30 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
An exhaust leak between the head and the upstream O2 sensor will cause the sensor to read "lean" due to the influx of fresh air before the sensor.

Fix the exhaust (new headers), reset the PCM (remove the PCM KAM fuse or disconnect the battery), and see what happens. Since you already know you have an exhaust leak, it's a fairly good chance that repairing that problem will also clear the fault condition that the sensor is reporting.

Steve

Old 12-07-2006, 12:54 PM
ok sounds like a plan to me. I had the ford dealership order in the pcv kit for me also just to be safe in case there is a leak there after the headrs are installed.

Len

Old 12-12-2006, 12:54 PM
well I put the new headers new gaskets and a new EGR tube this weekend. disconnected the battery during the whole install so the code was deffinitly cleared. the exhaust came out great no leaks on the first try! Wooohoooo I have driven about 100 miles since the install and still no SES light do you guys think the bad header gaskets gaskets and leaking flanges were the deffinite cause of my issues? SO far it seems to be the case to me guess I would like confirmation from the masses. Kinda wild that a exhaust leak could cause the engine to run lean but hey I dont know everything.........

Old 12-12-2006, 01:03 PM
switch to bank of america if ur having problems with ur bank1 and bank2

Old 12-12-2006, 02:17 PM
wow that was helpful

Quick Reply: lean on bank2 question