300 6er, high gears, little time.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 04:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP-> 300 6er, high gears, little time.

Mods, sorry if this posted in the wrong forum, but this one seemed to have the most traffic, and my question(s) can fit into several forums, soo...

Because my 67 bronco is impractical to take back to school in MI (see sig below), my dad just gave me his 96 F150 with a 300 6, 2WD , 2.73 (WTF was Ford thinking?) gears, low mileage, and cold A/C. The truck has 60,000 miles, never had any problems; but this thing has no ***** for getting the fuel mileage that it does. Furthermore, it can't even hold its own in fourth gear much less o/d on any significant incline.
I have to load up and leave from here (valencia, CA) and drive to San Antonio next Friday, and from there I have to head due north to Michigan. I plan on pulling a small (4x8) u-haul from SA.

The problem: need more power. basically want to be able to do 65-70 from texas to michigan with the u-haul.
Here are my proposed solutions: Mind you, I am in college and the more i spend here, the less Beer i can buy next semester.

1) Change gears in the 8.8. Probablly to 3.73s. Wanted to add a locker, but probablly isnt wise for the ice/snow. I cant set up r/p so $800-1200.

2) Then I started looking at performance chips online. THe sites promise %10 + hp, and %15 + more torque. IF i go this route, which one will give me the biggest increase for my BIG 6? Jet, Hpyertech, or "Superchips"? Anybody have experiance with one of these on a 4.9? yea or nea? $250-$400.

3) Adding some sort of less restrictive air-filter? K+N? $50 through Jegs.

Sorry for the newbie-like post, but Ive been on the site for a couple of hours using the search button with limited results. Help me out with what ya'll would do.

Thanks in Advance
ryan sekula

Last edited by red67; 07-23-2004 at 03:23 AM.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:01 AM
YOU NEED GEARS

Red,

Don't waste your time on chips and filters. I had that same engine in an 88 F150 4X4 with 33s on it and it had PLENTY of "*****". I asked the same question you did when I saw an F150 on the dealer lot in the early 90s w/ 2.73 gears WTF?

Put a set of limited slip 3.55s in the rear and call it DONE. This will give you a 30% increase in engine speed at any given MPH.

I think 3.73s will probably over gear your truck, unless you are running really large tires. The 3.55s will be about right for something like 255 or 265 tires.

I agree I would not put a locker in that truck running up north in alot of icy conditions -- that's a good way to end up in a ditch somewhere.

Go to a local salvage or junk yard and see if you can find an entire rear out of a 4x4. Most came standard with LS and you won't have to pay someone else to do the work.

Be sure you get the Speedo recalibrated for the 30% difference, or you will REALLY be racking up the miles on the truck.

Good luck in school!!!!!

Sidewinder

Old 07-22-2004, 10:51 AM
The Biggest bang for your buck...change the o2 sensor, the iat or intake air temp sensor, get the k&n filter, the filter package will send more air to the motor, I modified by box and used the drop in filter. Get a high flow exhaust..I got a gibson, but I have seen that others work better...I had a Jet chip...for 3 years before It died...made a major improvement for power...and stay away from the $9.99 chips sold on ebay which alter the signal from the iat going to the ecu....unless you want to ping your way to school.
I have thought about the superchips...looks to be a great addition and you get SUPPORT..a major credit to the superchips guy, Mike Troyer. That will be next. Anyway..I now get 17-18 mpg with a lot more power to tow my camper and car trailer.

Old 07-22-2004, 06:22 PM
Lame-o on the gear ratio. I'm with Sidewinder, a chip and/or air intake is not going to give that combination a new personality. Pull your ratio closer to 4.00 and you'll be very surprised that you're even in the same vehicle.

Old 07-22-2004, 09:52 PM
The I-6 will take some additional timing, turn it up until it pings a little and back it off. My 87 is still going 237,000 miles.
forget chips and crap. My old truck has 2:73's and still gets 19 MPG highway. (automatic)

Old 07-23-2004, 12:51 AM
red67,

Definatly, go with the gear change. I think Sidewinder got it right. 3:55 ratio should give you lots more go and not be too hard on the MPGs and that 8 year old motor.

I'm VERY happy with the Superchips Tuning but, as good as it is, it won't solve your particular problem.

Good Luck,

Bill

Old 07-23-2004, 03:23 AM
Thanks guys for all the help; much appreciated-

I think a new gear change is mandatory, but due to time, and $, I think I am gonna have to wait. I ruled out the performance chips only because I dont want to have to run "Premium fuel".
Tomorrow I plan on doing a complete tune-up, and having some new rubber put on her for my trip (31x10.50s). After examining the restrictive air box, I purchased a KN filter kit for 130 bucks, which arrives tomorrow. I figure it can't hurt. On my trip when pulling the U-haul, I'll just leave the truck in fourth gear and cruise at 70mph. That will put me at 2000rpm, which is right where the 300 peaks at torque.

A couple [MORE] quick Qs:
1) How do adjust the timing on this truck. I went to the library because i knew there was a wire off the dist that i have to disconnect, but the manual got me more confused. Something about a loop?
2) Got me some new plugs, there any preference on gap, besides factory recomendations? they are autolite platniums.
3)Anyone know how to make a cloth bench seat a lil more comfortable for a VERY long trip

thanks again guys.

Trending Topics

Old 07-27-2004, 11:04 PM
dont time a 96 4.9

Originally posted by jstang
The I-6 will take some additional timing, turn it up until it pings a little and back it off. My 87 is still going 237,000 miles.
forget chips and crap. My old truck has 2:73's and still gets 19 MPG highway. (automatic)
Dont time a 1996 300 4.9L 6. I tried advancing it, but ended up screwing up the electronics having to do with the FI. [ read-> ran like crap]. Now she is in the shop. I did put on the KN fipk, and 3.73s are going in the 8.8 on thurs.

thanks for the help guys.

Quick Reply: 300 6er, high gears, little time.