1997 F150 4.2L cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 F150 4.2L cranks but won't start

First off, I realize this thread is for V8 engines, but I was unable to find the V6 forum, my search came back as "page not found", otherwise I would have posted this there.

I have a '97 F150 with the 4.2L engine. I went out yesterday afternoon to go somewhere and tried to start the truck, and it would crank, sounded like it wanted to start, but wouldn't. I drove the truck the previous day, no issues, ran perfectly no misses,no backfires, nothing! I parked it over night and now it won't start. I've done nothing, no tune up, no changing plug wires etc that might have caused this. I drove it and parked it.

I need some advice, direction, suggestions as to what is causing this.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:51 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
The V6 forum is right above this one on the index page. I'll report the post to get it moved.

Is it turning over at normal speed? Have you tried cracking the throttle open slightly?

How many miles on the spark plugs, wires, and coil pack? Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on? When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

Old 11-13-2012, 12:48 PM
Tried the link again, and got the same reply:
The requested page was not found.
Click here to return to the homepage or try searching for the content you're looking for.

Plugs/Wires have less than 10,000 miles on them, coil pack is less than 3 months old. The starter turns over at the proper speed.
Can't hear the fuel pump, but then again, I've never heard it. Fuel filter should probably be replaced again, I don't really recall when I replaced it last, but it has been replaced before.
I am fairly certain it's a fuel issue. I shot some carb cleaner in the throttle body and the engine fired up, sputtered and quit. I guess my next step will be to disconnect the filter and see if the pump is pumping. I've been told as well that if the pump isn't running that a good whack on the tank may get it going again, however temporarily. Good advice?

Old 11-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
You can bookmark this if you'd like. The thread is now in the V6 forum.

- Jack

Old 11-14-2012, 01:54 AM
There is a fuel shutoff device located behind the kick panel on the pass. side below the glove box. If this has somehow been triggered the truck will not start. Its prolly a long shot though.

Quick Reply: 1997 F150 4.2L cranks but won't start