Installation Help please! Autometer 9118 Magneto Signal Converter

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 12:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installation Help please! Autometer 9118 Magneto Signal Converter

Need some explicit "for dummies" instruction for installing a magneto signal converter in my 2003 6 cyl (manual transmission).

I have already installed a sun pro tach II using the "pin #48" method in previous posts, but my rpms are very low compared to what I'm expecting to see. I bought the Auto Meter 9118 magneto signal converter, but just need some help with the installation. Specifically:

1) One wire has to be connected to a "switched 12V" supply. Can anybody tell me where to connect this wire under the hood? The tach asked for the same power source, but I connected it to the heater inside the cab. The converter will have to be near the battery, so I'm looking for something under the hood.

2) Two cables go to positive and negative leads on the coil or mag kill switch. So I don't destroy something, can somebody be very specific and direct me to where I'm putting these wires? I don't think this truck has a mag kill switch, and this is the first vehicle I've ever owned or worked on that doesn't use a distributor. I admit it - I'm freaking lost and looking for some education.

Please make the directions very descriptive if you can. This is new ground for me.

Thanks for the help!

Old 12-29-2007, 09:00 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
my rpms are very low compared to what I'm expecting to see.
Have you compared the reading to what the digital odometer reads in the tach mode?

Old 01-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Have you compared the reading to what the digital odometer reads in the tach mode?
I have no idea how to get my digitial odometer into Tach mode. Can it do that? Sorry for the late reply...

Old 01-02-2008, 07:36 PM
glc
Depress and hold the instrument cluster SELECT/RESET button, turn the ignition switch to the RUN position, and then continue pressing the SELECT/RESET button (5 seconds) until tESt is displayed in the odometer. The SELECT/RESET button must be released within three seconds of the odometer tESt display to begin the dealer test mode. Depress the SELECT/RESET button to advance through the modes till it says tAc. Start it and drive it.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Depress and hold the instrument cluster SELECT/RESET button, turn the ignition switch to the RUN position, and then continue pressing the SELECT/RESET button (5 seconds) until tESt is displayed in the odometer. The SELECT/RESET button must be released within three seconds of the odometer tESt display to begin the dealer test mode. Depress the SELECT/RESET button to advance through the modes till it says tAc. Start it and drive it.
Wow, thanks for the info! I will give it a try tommorrow... Do you have to do this every time you start the truck if you want the digital tach? It sounds like you'd have to do it every start.

Is this one of those secret fixes for the F150? Awhile ago I learned how to turn off the seatbelt alarm. Don't suppose you know how to turn off the "hey, the key's in the ignition with the door open" alarm? It's a pain in the a$$ when I'm working on the interior of the truck with the engine off...

Last edited by Sourball09; 01-03-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:05 PM
glc
Yes, that has to be done every time you start it. When you turn it off, it reverts to normal mode. I used it to get numbers to calibrate my speedometer in each gear so I know roughly what RPM's I'm turning at various speeds.

Can't help you on the key dinger.

Quick Reply: Installation Help please! Autometer 9118 Magneto Signal Converter