02 f150 2 rwd automatic grinds in first and reverse

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 02 f150 2 rwd automatic grinds in first and reverse

my friends truck is having a problem, and i havent found any info on the specific issue. when you shift from P to D and accelerate, there's a slight grinding clatter in the tranny i think, bump it to 2 and the noise is completely gone! pull it to 1, and there she is again, also in reverse it does this, speed is not a factor, only the specific gears. i had read a thread which mentioned a "sun gear", and also that 1st and R are on the same bands? i believe it was for a manual tranny that i had read about, but does anyone know what this could be?! he's got a slight drag on the rear brakes, i assume it's his E-brake, could that have caused a transmission failure? we've removed the driveshaft and checked u-joints and all, nothing there, but when the truck reverses on the ground, you can watch the driveshaft bounce like it's binding. we grease the slip joint while we had it off, and we were able to spin the rear wheels by turning driveshaft w no problem while off the ground. any info would be appreciated. THANKS!

Old 01-14-2015, 09:34 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
The driveshaft doing the "bounce like it's binding" thing is likely a good clue.

While you have it up off the ground you might take a cheap mechanics stethoscope, like you can get at any of the auto parts stores or even maybe someplace like Harbor Freight, and see if you can isolate the noise to a specific component like the transmission or rear end.

D

Old 01-14-2015, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's got sounds from both ends is the issue, sounds like his e-brake is dragging, and he's got an odd grinding clatter from the tranny, i was just curious if the transmission gears started going, would it make sense for only 1st and reverse to make the noise, and if the issue in the tranny could've been caused by the rear brake issue? it sounds like a gear in there is letting loose, i've never had a tranny apart, so i have no clue what the inside is like. either way, i think his tranny needs replaced, or rebuilt. thanks for the response though!

Quick Reply: 02 f150 2 rwd automatic grinds in first and reverse