2005 Problems with starting in park (tranny issue)...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Problems with starting in park (tranny issue)...

I have a 2005 that has intermittent problems starting while in park. Occasionally when I go to start the truck, it will make a grinding noise like the truck is already started. If I put the truck in neutral, it starts up every time without a problem. It is like the truck is not truly engaged in park. Any idea of what is the problem? Thanks!!!

Old 08-08-2014, 12:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When you park, use the parking brake before putting the transmission in park. Do this for a while and see if the problem goes away.

Two things come to mind as possible causes:

Loose/missing starter bolts

Loose/ transmission bell housing bolts

There'd be no reason for either to be loose or missing unless somebody has had them off the truck and did not install them properly. Should be relatively easy to check for. some of those bolts are a bitch to access, but with enough extensions and a u-joint for your ratchet and you should be able to check them all.

That's what I'd be checking.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:42 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
I think it's a failing starter and that it's just been a coincidence that the problem hasn't happened in the neutral position.

There are only two things different when the engine isn't running that are relevant for starting the engine between the PARK and NEUTRAL shift lever positions. The first is electrical in that the starter activation signal is routed through a different set of contacts on the DTR switch. The second is that the PARK position engages a pawl in the transmission output section that is supposed to lock the driveshaft to prevent drive wheel rotation. Neither affects the mechanics of the starter's gear ability to engage the flywheel's gearing.

Last edited by projectSHO89; 08-08-2014 at 06:50 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm inclined to agree with that.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is definitely only doing it in Park. Is there any way it could be getting stuck in Reverse, yet, the computer thinks that it is in park? No loose or missing bolts, and the starter is about 1.5 years old. It worked great until a month ago when this starting happening.

Thanks for your help!

Old 08-09-2014, 06:10 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Supple1
It is definitely only doing it in Park. Is there any way it could be getting stuck in Reverse, yet, the computer thinks that it is in park?
Even if that did happen it would not cause grinding. The problem is a bad starter.

Quick Reply: 2005 Problems with starting in park (tranny issue)...