2005 F150 Wont Engage Drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 F150 Wont Engage Drive

Guys,
I am sorry if there is a post with an answer for my problem and I will gladly take the flaming.

I have an 05 F150 SuperCrew with 159K miles on it. It is an automatic transmission and noticed something odd today coming home from work. When I put it into drive it kind of hesitated and then took off. On the drive home when I would come to stop lights/stop signs it would act sluggish when trying to accelerate from a stop. Once on the interstate the truck just would not accelerate and kinda felt like it was stuck in 3rd gear.
I got home and parked the truck. After picking up the kids and taking to vacation bible school with the wife, I came home and went out to get dinner. I put the truck in reverse and no issues and when I went to drive off same problem. Except when I came to the stop sign this time no drive. It wouldn't engage at all. The rpm's just kept going up as I accelerated but the truck wouldn't go. I had to put it in reverse and drive it home.

I have checked everything inside the truck. Took off the plastic trim around the steering column and checked that everything was tight. When I got under the truck and had my FIL move it between gears, it looks like the linkage is moving things fine but it just wont drive. The axle spins in reverse but once in drive it will not go.

Can someone please give me a hand. I am sorry for the long post and will answer anything that I might have left out.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:55 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
That's an easy one to answer. Something mechanical has broken inside the transmission. It needs to come out and be torn down to find out what broke. Sorry.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like the Forward clutch wen "buh-bye"... time for a rebuild

Quick Reply: 2005 F150 Wont Engage Drive