4r70e to 4r75e SWAP

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darrin Burch
This is easy.

The tuner opens their tuning software to the catch code of your truck. They select the parameter for the number of holes for the OSS and changes it from 6 to 24. They then save the tune file and either load it into the tuning device or send it to you to load into your device so it can be loaded into your vehicle. You load it into the truck and that's it.

D
Does anyone know if a PHP Gryphon has the capability to do this?

I have 2006 with the 4r70e that lost reverse and would like to swap in a 2008 4r75e. What else is required besides the tuning? One post mentioned the EPC solenoid. Would it be possible to swap out the 24 hole output shaft ring gear for the 6 hole from the 4r70e and not require tuning modifications?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:29 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
On that 08 into an 06 swap, nothing is required. Swap it.

D

Old 02-15-2017, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by Darrin Burch
On that 08 into an 06 swap, nothing is required. Swap it.

D
Nothing different at all? Remove, replace, done?

Old 02-15-2017, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by papoose
Nothing different at all? Remove, replace, done?
The only definitive things you need to worry about between those years are bellhousing pattern and 2wd or 4wd. Other than that, yeah, its straight in.

For good measure you might stick with one from a 5.4 if you are swapping into a vehicle with a 5.4, but if you have a vehicle with a 4.6 then either donor engine size is without concern. This was more applicable to earlier years though. Just a good rule of thumb.

D

Old 02-15-2017, 09:02 AM
I just read the whole thread. I often reply to these threads early in the morning before I start work or late in the evening after a hard day. Sometimes I miss things. This time I did.

The original post was on 04+ transmissions and my reply was inaccurate.

The 04 "Heritage" model transmissions are something to stay away from if going into a newer or older vehicle. That should be considered an animal of its own. They either don't have a case with a provision for a TSS sensor or have a magnetic sun shell that would prohibit the use of one even if you could install it. Or, the have a provision for the TSS sensor and the correct sun shell. Unless you want to go hunting with a magnet then just no. I "think" they all have the 24 OSS count from what I've seen though. No guarantee. I'm not looking through all the calibrations to check that out. Just consider the 04 Heritage transmissions to be 04 Heritage transmissions.

The new body style 04 transmissions have the TSS and the correct ring gear for the 24 OSS count. They will swap from 04 to 08 as long as the 04 is the new body style.

Some basic "Always" rules when working with 04-08 4R7xx transmissions...

You always MUST stay 4x4 to 4x4 and 2wd to 2wd because the output shaft and extension housing configurations are different between the two. They wont interchange and bolt up. No way, no how.

You also always MUST make sure the transmission you want to swap is TSS capable if yours has a TSS. A case having the hole with a plug in it isn't a sufficient sign. If you have a TSS then always just find one that is using a TSS for your swap. You absolutely can put the wrong transmission in and not know it. IF you do then there will be a warning light and goofy operation.

If the transmission in the vehicle you are swapping INTO doesn't have a TSS then either will work.

D

Old 02-15-2017, 12:36 PM
My truck is a 2006 4.6 4x4, replacement trans is 2008 4.6 4x4. They both will have TSS, correct? Or is it still possible on the 04+ to have a trans without TSS?

Sorry to continue questioning but the transmission I plan on buying is 3 hours away and i don't want to want to get the wrong one or waste a trip. What should I look for if I got him to send me pictures?

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-24-2021, 09:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4r70e to 4r75e

I have an 05 f150 4.6l with 4r70e, can I do a direct swap to the 4r75e? Any issues doing this swap? Also, what is the difference between the two transmissions?

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: 4r70e to 4r75e SWAP