Flushing Transmission - Solenoids Sticking?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flushing Transmission - Solenoids Sticking?

2005 F-150 XLT 4.6 2WD with 104,500 miles. Bone stock. I took my truck into a shop yesterday because I have been having a problem with a "skipping" like problem when taking off from a dead stop. (as in all of the power isn't make it to the wheels intermittently, approximately 6 times, not a missing problem as in plugs, etc.) As the truck warms up it becomes more noticeable. The shop said that my truck will need a transmission flush because some of the solenoids are sticking. He quoted me $411.00 to flush it. My question is this, does this this sound reasonable? Do the solenoids become sticky? Can I drop the pan and change the filter and fluid and hopefully resolve this myself? I am aware that I will not get all of the fluid out as I cannot drain the converter. I also feel that $400.00 is excessive. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:51 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
$400 is excessive, and you don't want a chemical flush. A fluid exchange with a machine should cost no more than $150 and I'd do that before dropping the pan. Find a different shop or take it to a dealer.

If you have 104k and the plugs have never been changed, it's time. It may also need one or more cops.

Quick Reply: Flushing Transmission - Solenoids Sticking?