Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Question

Clutch Question

I Just picked up a small pickup truck for my daily driver yesterday. It is a 5 speed with 2.2L 4Cyl. Sometimes when I go to crank I have to pump the clutch to the floor and back up to make it start.

In other words:
If i depress the clutch and it doesn't start, I then release it and push it back down and it starts.

I know nothing about clutches as this is the first 5-speed i've owned. Is this a loose wire in the starter or a bad connection? Or something else?

Old 05-21-2007, 03:21 PM
Usually there is a switch just behind the clutch pedal. Get down on the floorboard and push the clutch pedal down with your hand. You should be able to see where the pedal arm makes contact with this switch. It should be a pushbutton lookin' thinigie. It may be sticking and just need a shot of lubricant, or maybe there is wire wear or loose connection.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:02 PM
yep, sounds like the clutch safety switch. it disables the starting circuit unless you have the clutch disengaged. it's probably sticking...give it a good shot of wd-40 inside where the plunger on the switch slides, then push the plunger in and out several times. if that doesn't fix it, i'd just replace the switch, it's probably only a few dollars.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by sfam198
yep, sounds like the clutch safety switch. it disables the starting circuit unless you have the clutch disengaged. it's probably sticking...give it a good shot of wd-40 inside where the plunger on the switch slides, then push the plunger in and out several times. if that doesn't fix it, i'd just replace the switch, it's probably only a few dollars.

I replaced the switch earlier and it didn't solve the problem. It was only about 30 bucks so i went ahead and replaced it. I'm going to let my buddy who is a mechanic take a look at it.

Any other suggestions on what it could be?

Old 05-21-2007, 09:21 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Does the starter or the solenoid make any noise at all? If there is no noise then there is a problem in the starting circuit. Part of that is indeed the clutch safety switch. The connector could be corroded. A wire could be cut or chaffed.

JMC

Old 05-22-2007, 05:09 PM
If you've ruled out the switch, then it's time to start tracing wires. I know, easier said than done but a multitester with some good long leads and an assistant can make things a lot easier.

Chances are a wire is chaffed and is grounding until you jiggle the clutch pedal and it shifts a bit. On old manual Ford trucks this was a fairly common problem.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:27 AM
alright I will start tracing wire this afternoon when I get home. I believe that a starter was put on not too long ago and I'll check the wires there first

Quick Reply: Clutch Question