when to change fluid for a manual transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 11:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when to change fluid for a manual transmission?

i know for automatic transmission, ford recommends fluid change at 30k miles range. when would be it for a manual tranny (05 5speed)?

Old 05-07-2007, 02:47 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's in your owner's manual, in the maintenance pamphlet or section.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:45 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I do the M5OD-R2 every 30k-ish. It's only four quarts of Mercon ATF, and takes about ten minutes to do if you have a suction gun to make the refill super easy.

Adrianspeeder

Old 05-07-2007, 08:09 AM
Yes it is the same fluid, therefore I reccomend the same intervals, 30k. I usually go back with mercon V just because.

Shane

Old 05-07-2007, 08:42 AM
At about 25-30k I drained the atf out of mine. It was dark and didn't look so good. I refilled it with gm syncromesh and immediately noticed a huge difference in the shifting and noise of the transmission. At 1ook I drained the syncromesh and it still looked like new. At 160k I did it again when I had to change the clutch due to a leaking rear main seal. Againt he fluid looked great. ATF is a lousy lubricant. Syncromesh is worth the investment in these transmissions.
Alan

Old 05-07-2007, 09:32 PM
Ford recommends every 30k or so, same as autos, but unless you're a terrible stick driver and grinding every other shift 30k is overkill.

If you're unsure, just take the plug out and stick your finger in. If the fluid is fresh and at least somewhat red(providing ATF was put in) then you're fine for another 30k. If it's dark brown/black(color of nearly used up motor oil) then change it. To save a lot of time and frustration, go to a marine store and buy an oil changing kit for a boat. Some use a vacuum pump and a long skinny line, others have an electric pump. Either way, just stick the hose in the hole and out comes all the old fluid in no time at all. These can also be used to siphon gas out of the b*tchy neighbor's car if you're running low.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by RaWarrior
Ford recommends every 30k or so, same as autos, but unless you're a terrible stick driver and grinding every other shift 30k is overkill.

If you're unsure, just take the plug out and stick your finger in. If the fluid is fresh and at least somewhat red(providing ATF was put in) then you're fine for another 30k. If it's dark brown/black(color of nearly used up motor oil) then change it. To save a lot of time and frustration, go to a marine store and buy an oil changing kit for a boat. Some use a vacuum pump and a long skinny line, others have an electric pump. Either way, just stick the hose in the hole and out comes all the old fluid in no time at all. These can also be used to siphon gas out of the b*tchy neighbor's car if you're running low.
Draining the fluid is easy, pull the plug. It's magnetic so you get to wipe of the fragments as well. refilling I used a $6 Harbor freight fluid pump.
Alan

Quick Reply: when to change fluid for a manual transmission?