Clutch loses pressure when cold...again

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch loses pressure when cold...again

I have a 1996 F-150 with the 6-cyl and 5spd. A couple months ago the temps dropped down to somewhere in the -20 degrees with wind chill. When I went to start my truck, the clutch pedal fell right to the floor with no pressure behind it.

I ended up replacing the master cylinder and self-bleeding the system enough to get some pressure back into the system. I was able to drive it ok. I took it to a shop and had them bleed it completely and it ran like a champ from then on.

However, the cold is back, and another week of well-below-zero temps have done it again. The clutch went limp at about -20 degrees. I checked the fluid and it was a tad low...but not to the point where it should have caused such a drastic problem. I topped it off and began pumping the pedal about 2.5 million times to get some pressure back into it. After about an hour, it was driveable again. However, there is way too much free play in the clutch, and I usually have to pump the pedal twice to get in to go into gear smoothly. I also noticed that it engages the gear when I let off the clutch only about 2 inches.

Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Lastly...I have never noticed a single drop of fluid anywhere, and have not been able to find a leak.

Thanks for the help

Old 02-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Sounds like the slave cylinder if you replaced the master and it still is losing fluid.

Sorry man,
Adrianspeeder

Old 02-06-2007, 06:37 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Even if it's not losing fluid, the slave probably has an internal leak.

Quick Reply: Clutch loses pressure when cold...again