Confused about shift kits on newer transmissions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 11:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confused about shift kits on newer transmissions...

The 4R70W on my '97 F150 is giving up the ghost. I've found a reputable rebuilder that will do anything I want within reason. But he informs me that if I add a shift kit, the computer will try to compensate for any changes it makes, basically trying to bring the shifting back to stock.

Is this the case? If so, how do you deal with it? Currently, my truck has a chip that firms up the shifting among other things. He says that's the best way to do it.

I was specifically looking at adding a Factory Tech Plate Kit to it. Is it going to work?

Old 12-27-2006, 06:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like somebody doesnt want to work on your tranny... I put a transgo shiftkit in mine, well had it put it, and it shifts a lot harder than stock, and i turned it up a little with my tuner also. It works justl ike it should, and stays that way. If I could go back, i would have installed the whole factory tech valve body though

Old 12-28-2006, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by built54
sounds like somebody doesnt want to work on your tranny... I put a transgo shiftkit in mine, well had it put it, and it shifts a lot harder than stock, and i turned it up a little with my tuner also. It works justl ike it should, and stays that way. If I could go back, i would have installed the whole factory tech valve body though
As far as 4r70w's are concerned a transgo is garbage. They do more harm than they do good. Check out the Factory Tech plate kits for trucks. I would consider replacing a 97 transmission it is likely to have a roller clutch and will fail. They were updated in 98.
Alan

Old 12-29-2006, 12:46 AM
My 1997 has a slight slip everytime you accelerate. And it makes a little squeak noise during the slip before it really engages hard. Any idea what could be causing it? Would it be a differential or transfer case slip? Or is it the roller clutch you're talkin about causing it?

Old 12-30-2006, 01:53 AM
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g
As far as 4r70w's are concerned a transgo is garbage. They do more harm than they do good. Check out the Factory Tech plate kits for trucks. I would consider replacing a 97 transmission it is likely to have a roller clutch and will fail. They were updated in 98.
Alan
Wow!! Heavy news! Can anyone expound on this failing roller clutch?

dirtyd0g,
I've read a lot of your posts lately. You are either full of yourself or purty darned knowledgeable and experienced. I'm hoping for the latter. I believe my tranny is in the midst of failing, and needs to be repaired, rebuilt, or replaced EXTREMELY soon (I'm thinkin' days, not weeks or months).

I need my truck so I'm committed to making it right for the long haul. How can I tell if I have this evil roller clutch type tranny? What's involved with replacing a tranny with a different/later model as opposed to rebuilding my current one?

By the way, I've already ordered the Factory Tech plate kit.

Old 12-30-2006, 02:14 AM
Originally Posted by The Flow-Master
My 1997 has a slight slip everytime you accelerate. And it makes a little squeak noise during the slip before it really engages hard. Any idea what could be causing it? Would it be a differential or transfer case slip? Or is it the roller clutch you're talkin about causing it?

Thats usually the early warning indicator, should happen on the 1-2 shift, If it happens on every shift you have a forward clutch or pressure problem.

I don't know about being full of myself, I guess it's possible. I specialize in 4r70w transmissions and have nearly 10 years experience building torque converters. If you pick up january edition of MM&FF you'll find an article on a nice bullit mustang that I was involved in. I am Alan from dirtydogperformance.com.

You can simply buy a reverse drum and diode from a 98+ transmission to install into yours however I generally find it cheaper and easier to start with a later model transmission, that does require some wiring changes however. You won't be dissapointed with the factorytech plate kit, Gregg and I worked very hard to make a nice kit out of it and keep the cost down. I'm still tryin to talk him into making it an even $100 and tossing in a filter.

Alan

Old 12-30-2006, 03:26 AM
Alan, thanks A LOT for the info.

I'm pretty inexperienced in things mechanical and don't expect to improve on that much. But I really enjoy learning about those things that I know have the potential to affect my life(style) profoundly.

I will probably end up relying on the expertise of a local transmission guy (recomended by my father, which carries more weight than you may imagine), making sure to include the FT plate in the final product.

That's not to say that I won't continue to hang out here and learn. I'm still trying to figure out what "stall" means when referring to torque converters.

Yeah, yeah, I get the gist of it, but I'm trying to figure out how it applies when I'm doing 40 or 50 mph and want to merge into the passing lane with the minimum amount of delay. I don't race on tracks, just the freeway!

OH! And Happy New Year!

Trending Topics

Old 12-30-2006, 09:21 PM
Stall is actually easy to define. Stall speed is the point in which with the wheels locked, the transmission holding and in gear, the maximum rpm's you can raise before the engine just cannot raise anymore without the wheels moving. That is true stall.
Alan

Quick Reply: Confused about shift kits on newer transmissions...