Rough GUESS on 1-2 shift Accumulator job?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough GUESS on 1-2 shift Accumulator job?

I have a 2001 expy EB with a 5.4l 4r100 tranny (code "e" on pillar) 76,800 MILES. a year ago I started getting a Shudder(like rumble strips) in OD so after reading on here I did a Pan off Fluid/filter change (including toque convert) and refilled with 16qts of Royal purpal ATF. now last week (1 year and 16,000 miles latter) a SLIGHT shudder has reappeared but more CONCERNING I have a Delayed 1-2 shift. Bad enough I either have to let off to force the shift or it will run up to 2800-3200 rpm's before shifting but theres NO jerk and that shift and all the other shifts are fine. I just did ANOTHER fluid change 2 days ago but this time I had it powered flushed and added 16qts of valvoline MAX life fluid (Meets Mercon specs as I need)...shudder is gone again but the chatter and delayed shift is still there. Also Noticed if I punch it into Passing gear the RPMS race up and tranny doesnt catch till RPMs get back around 4000. OD light has NEVER blinked and Button works (turns OD on/OFF) seems ford has a TSB#01135 that covers the Delayed shift symptom. AM I on the right track with 1-2 shift Accumulator or could it be something like a broke spring, ect. that would be evident if I drop the pan myself ? could it be something I can fix? If not and its a 1-2 shift accum. what kind of price $ TO FIX? Thanks!

Last edited by rtd2; 10-19-2006 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:52 PM
Lightbulb JerryLeeLariat

Not sure if the 1 -2 accumulator in your truck trans operates via a moving spring in its body. But it sounds as if the spring broke giving a delayed shift. The repair on my 98 150 was $203 at a tranny repair shop - $104 for the actual spring replacement; $70 for trans service plus the misc. add-on taxes, etc. Works fine know but still revs a bit before shifting. If it is a spring, make sure you use a quality aftermarket type. You can probably repair it yourself. Check the VSS also for correct voltage.

Last edited by JerryLeeLariat; 10-19-2006 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the info. 230.00 would be great if thats my prob. I HAD to drive it to work today and Every gear shifts fine Except 1-2 so maye the Whole tranny is not nedded rebuild! I think its worth a shot to Drop the pan and see if there is anything Obvious broken before I take it to the ford Stealer! If anything I would just like to know 100% whats wrong regardless if its 2000.00 of 200.00 to fix. I hate not KNOWING cause I end up getting a few EXTRA ($$$)things fixed...Thanks again for the reply and info. I will post back with my findings.

Last edited by rtd2; 10-20-2006 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:00 AM
Helps for truck

My E4OD trans operated the same way. The Ford dealership told me it would require a trans rebuild at the tune of thousands. I have lost my trust in most auto repair facilities because they experiment with the customer so they can learn about particular auto problems. At $80/hr., I can purchase tools and tech books to help me do the job myself. I am pretty sure if you take the accumulator apart that you will find a broken spring. If the cylinder is damaged then you will need to have the hole reamed and resleeved. Thank God mine was fine and only needed a spring replacement. Also, consider using LubeGuard ($12) as an additive fluid protection in your trans. It is wonderful stuff; a synthetic whale oil that reduces friction/heat http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me..._Code=lubegard
You may also want to upgrade the trans fluid to Royal Purple ($6/qt). Check for best price. http://www.monstermarketplace.com/Au...ng785a394.html.
I am a believer that if the best fluids are used, then machines will operate trouble free for a long time. Heads up! I purchased a lifetime Ultra Filter awhile back ($99) and will never need to buy an engine oil filter ever. The company claims no oil restriction on startup (no bypass valve) so oil immediately goes to all parts of the engine. They have a fleet of vehicles using them and filtration is so effective that the last time I contacted them they had 12,000 miles on their vehicles' oil. If you ever sell your vehicle the company will send you an adapter so it can be used on your new vehicle - free! NO MORE OIL CANS IN THE LAND FILLS>
http://www.sporttruckdirect.com/Ultr...l_Filters.html or http://www.chriscoproducts.com/filters.html (this one giving an extra free filter screen).

Last edited by JerryLeeLariat; 10-21-2006 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:34 AM
More great info. I thank you! I used royal purple back when I did the Pan off/filter change over a year ago Eliminated O/D Shudder and...shifted like butter! for over 1yr and 16,000 miles (NO PULLING EITHER!) so last week when I heard it LIGHTLY shudder and got the Delayed 1-2 shift I IMMEDIATLY wanted to get tranny attention and probably overreacted and took it to a local garage for a Flush.He didnt carry Royal purple and talked me into Valvoline max life. Which DID take away the shudder but Not the Nosie and delayed 1-2 shift. I'm planning on dropping the pan in the morning and Crossin my fingers I find a Broken spring and its NOT the DREADED ONEWAY CLUTCH (mechanical diode 01-13-5 JUL 01 A/T - 4R100 Delayed or No 2nd Gear Shift ) that has FAILED- FORCING a total rebuild! I read somewhere that those Mecahnical Diodes NEVER made it out of the Factory in GASOLINE engines only Diesel? I'm learning a lot and I THANK YOU for your time and advice!

Old 10-23-2006, 07:17 PM
well its TOAST... Driving to work today VERY gently noise got worse and it wouldnt shift into 2nd NO matter WHAT I did! So I just dropped it off at local tranny shop.(near my work) HAD to LIMP there , Chatter noise got Worse and was present even in Neutral. I Lost drive, 2 and 1 had to Shut off the truck and restart several times to get it to catch a gear by the time i made it! 12 miles took me 35min!....Owner is a friend of the family and assured me its the Mecahnical Diode -sprag. He said he's done no less than 10 of these. ( including his sisters 01 Exp 5.4 )that early died last year with ONLY 52,000 on the clock! Still dissapointed but he said no more than 1300.00 to rebuild and thats with a 24/24 warranty. Truck looks and drives new Everything is fine just got back from vacation with it and now this. Its paid for so its worth fixin. Ford really SUX on this but overall It should do fine on a rebuild correct? Tranny guy said he would fix it with prior diode parts...Thanks again Hope to have it back by thursday

Quick Reply: Rough GUESS on 1-2 shift Accumulator job?