Klunking in reverse - help...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Klunking in reverse - help...

About two months ago I was starting to back my '02 Screw out of a parking spot and just stopped dead - it felt like I backed into a brick wall. I got out thinking I hit something but nothing was there. I thought then it might have been a tranny problem but then I didn't have any other problems after that so I wrote it off. Then today I was backing up and had a similar thing happen except this time it was more like a klunking sensation but the truck didn't stop dead like before. Now I'm convinced I've got a tranny problem. The truck has 68K miles on it and is overdue for its 60k service. Do you think a tranny flush and fill will help or does it sound like a more serious problem?

Old 10-12-2006, 09:45 AM
Tranny i doubt it....

I doubt it is your tranny... But that is hard to tell from your VAGUE explanation!!! It could be a ujoint???? Rear pinion yoke??? Crown and pinion?????? Who knows????

Old 10-17-2006, 02:26 PM
hey guys,

i too have that clunking noise sometimes when i go in reverse. it also happens when i'm starting to drive forward from a dead stop. Its a really loud "clunk" that sounds like its either coming from the back of the truck when i'm reverseing, or the front of the truck when i'm starting forward from a dead stop. i think i'll take it to a transmisson place around here soon, hopefully they can diagnose my problem fast.

i searched the TSB's on this site and found bulletin no:04266 " a drive line clunk or bump when starting from a stop. *TT" date of bulletin 4/29/05.

i'd like to know what *TT means, and what exactly the TSB could do to help me when i go to explain the problem to either a ford dealership or AAMCO. oh well good luck with your situation hopefully i get some info soon!

John

Old 10-17-2006, 10:41 PM
It could be one of the U joints, CV axles, wheel bearrings, transmission bearrings, driveshaft etc.. The tranny fluid is also a possibility. Inspect the flex disks and the mount bushings. Check the tranny and differential, you could start from there.

Quick Reply: Klunking in reverse - help...