Towing & Hauling

7 Pin Trailer Towing Harness

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2002, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 7 Pin Trailer Towing Harness

I just installed a new 7 pin harness on my 98 F-150 XLT, and it was a breeze. My problem is that the only signal I'm getting at the receptacle is at the battery recharger pin. The rest of 'em are dead. The ground is good, and so is the continuity on all the pins. So, I'm assuming my problem is a blown fuse or relay. I checked the #18 5 amp fuse, and it's fine. I haven't had a chance to look yet, but I'm guessing the #1 20 amp fuse in the power distribution box is blown, and I'll check the #28 30 amp brake controller fuse too. Is there another fuse that controls the turn signal and brake light connection? I'd appreciate any insight anyone has. I'm pulling a travel trailer, so I need everything to work. Thanks.

Old 03-13-2002, 03:44 PM
Hi Hab

Also ck. for more TT fuses..there maybe more in the wiring...near the main fuse box (under hood)

Look closely, that little box might be covered by tape???

If you have actual relays, always wise to have a spare one. Simple ck...ign. key on..unplug/replug...if it clicks..probably ok?

Does sound like blown fuse.

Good luck...OT

Old 03-13-2002, 10:09 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks OT!

You were right on the money. The #1 20 amp fuse was blown, and that gave me power on the running lights pin. Then I found the small fuse box next to the main box, and sure enough there was another blown 20 amp fuse. (The owners manual doesn't mention it; must be specific to the tow package). Anyway, after replacing that one, I've got a signal at every pin. Thanks Again!

Habanero

Old 03-30-2002, 05:05 PM
Question How did you add the 7 pin connector?

Habanero,
What was involved in adding the 7 pin set up? I take it you just had the 4 pin originally. It is as simple as disconnecting the 4 pin wiring at the connector along the frame and plugging in a 7 pin wiring? I've seen a kit advertised in a catalog to do this but it sounds way to simple. I always thought the 7 pin set up was something that would require a major re-wiring to add on.

Quick Reply: 7 Pin Trailer Towing Harness