Non-greasable ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Non-greasable ball joints

Just brought home my first Ford F150........2002. I am the type of person who makes sure everything is greased. Fluids are critical. To my suprise all fittings are closed. Options????

Do I just wait until 70,000K and replace them. Can I buy aftermarket and have ability to apply grease. I live in the woods, and will be on lots of tough terrain.

Also use my 4-wheel drive every day. Any info or tips here will be helpfull. Thanks in advance. Fred

Old 07-15-2002, 11:49 AM
I greased mine the best I could without an actual grease fitting. They were replaced at 75,000 miles. It didn't seem to help.....

Old 07-15-2002, 09:02 PM
Wow AJ got 75K out of his. Mine have been replaced at just under 35K. Pats you are out of luck as far as I know. I was actually told by a Ford mechanic that the front ends aren't what they used to be and to get used to replacing them early. Hopefully yours will last as long as AJ's

Old 07-15-2002, 09:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yup! They're definately Lubed for Life! You could replace them, but why? You'd be better off waiting until near the end of the 3/36 warranty and taking it in to be replaced with new ones, then waiting until those wear out again to replace them... if you replace them now, the factory won't cover an alignment or anything that is related to the steering. Besides that, it would basically mean replacing the entire steering system (which, didn't they go to a rack and pinion for '02, or was that just the Expeditions?)

Just my .02, but I would wait a while and replace them with high quality stuff after they wear out, not when brand new...

-Joe-

Old 07-18-2002, 08:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Moog has most aftermarket front end components available with grease fittings....

http://www.federal-mogul.com/moog/index.html

Quick Reply: Non-greasable ball joints