Squishy Bilsteins?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2002, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Squishy Bilsteins?

Hey all- well, I won with my exhaust (finally, 3rd try!) mods, see my post today, but as much as I hate to think I blew $300, no luck on the shocks.

Call me crazy, but THE STOCK SHOCKS WERE STIFFER THAN THESE NEW DAMN BILSTEINS!!!

While it seems to ride better, I have more body roll, and PRONOUNCED side-to-side that I didn't have before (especially going over speed bumps at an angle). What the hell?!

Has anyone had problems with Bilsteins? How is this possible? The truck rode fine (a bit firm, but controlled) with the lift and stock shocks before, even with 20K miles!

ARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Old 03-24-2002, 09:17 PM
I too am disappointed with the Bilsteins. I put my new ones on about 7 weeks ago and lo and behold, more sway, more jostling in the cab and less control than the (gulp....dare I say) stock shocks?!!! Well...I said it.

I am going to look into the Edelbrock IAS Twintubes, but haven't found an application for the F150's yet...only the F150's. So, I may settle for the regular IAS's or latch onto some Rancho 9000's.

I'll be sending my Bilsteins back for a refund soon. Hmmm, German engineering. If the Edelbrocks don't work, I'll be putting the factory shocks back on. This is my second set of shocks in 17,000 miles. The first replacement set were the new Gabriel MonoMax. These shocks are to die for....literally! They made my truck very, very unsafe at any speed.

Old 03-24-2002, 09:29 PM
pale rider,

I just replaced my stock shocks with Monroe Reflex shocks. I started a thread last week in this same section titled "MONROE REFLEX SHOCKS" and got some great replies; check them out. I have been very pleased with them! They do give you a stiff ride, and I picked up mine at Orielly for 39.99 a piece, which is substantial less expensive than the Edelbrocks!

Ken

Old 03-25-2002, 01:12 PM
Question

I just purchased the Rancho's and find them to be better than stock but still feel there must be a better shock. I was thinking about the Edelbrock IAS. If you do try these please let me know. I have heard a lot of good things about them. I can tell you this about the Rancho's. Settings 1 and 2 are too soft. Setting 3 is the best but on harsh bumps will make your truck rattle. The good thing about the Edelbrocks is they are stiff for normal driving but hit a hard bump and they soften somewhat to help absorb it.

Old 03-26-2002, 10:55 AM
SAWTOOTH,

Thanks very much for your recommendations and input. I will focus on the Edelbrocks!

Old 03-26-2002, 06:30 PM
hey fellas,

i read something funny the other night. i had missed it before, i guess. it was a review of a new toyota tacoma 4X4 with the bilstein shocks and they said the same thing. the factory Bilsteins were too soft in the front. i've owned several sets of Bilstein over the years and found them to be on the stiff side if anything. maybe they have changed the valving on them over the years. it would be interesting to find out. sorry to hear about your bad luck, Rich.

Old 03-27-2002, 09:51 PM
the bilsteins that came with my rcd lift are great. much less body roll-even being lifted-than the stock shocks. if you want to buy my stock shocks, let me know. they only had 3000 miles on them when they were replaced.

Old 03-28-2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by r6racer
the bilsteins that came with my rcd lift are great. much less body roll-even being lifted-than the stock shocks. if you want to buy my stock shocks, let me know. they only had 3000 miles on them when they were replaced.
R6Racer,
I am interested in buying your stock shocks. How much do you want? I can pick them up...I'm in Costa Mesa.

Old 03-29-2002, 01:19 AM
area 52, email me. r6racing@worldnet.att.net let me know what you think is fair. give me your phone number also

Quick Reply: Squishy Bilsteins?