Not sure what to believe

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure what to believe

Will guys I've read every post in the lift section. From what I've found I can fit a set of 35X12.5's under my 2006 fX4 Screw 4X4 with the bilsteins 5100 2" leveling shocks. I've talked to the owner of Rimz One personally and he agrees that with the rim he sold me Moto Metal 951's 18's (Yeah I know everybody has em but couldn't find anything I liked better) with +30 BS I think he said the off set was 6. something, along with the Toyo MT's I should have no problems
I stressed over the purchase of these for weeks now. Well they arrived today and O man do they look huge. My mechanic says no way will they fit when I droped them off. Im waiting for the Bilsteins to show up Wed. to see if guys were right. Any words of encouragement will make the weekend go by easier. I'll post as soon as done to let know how it went. If they work I'll post some pic's.
Love the forums, read them everyday. I think I've read every post on here,and looked at every Pic. Thanks Guys

Old 03-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Suspended
no. you can fit 35/12.5's on stock wheels.

you probly will rub a little. backspacing is 6.18 on those wheels

Last edited by 06yz250f; 03-06-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by 06yz250f
no. you can fit 35/12.5's on stock wheels.
as long as your willing to trim you can fit anything you want in there

when i had my 20x9 MM951's with 6.18 bs and 35/12.5R20 Toyo Mt's on with my BL/Leveling kit, there was about 1/2 inch of clearance between the tire lugs and the control arm (i couldnt even fit my finger in there) , it rubbed when i hit bumps and at full turn in reverse . only cure was a new set of rims

with that backspacing i think the 35's would fit with a some trimming , but you ll also be pretty close to the control arm as well

Old 03-06-2009, 09:08 PM
OK first things first.... you have the offset and bs mixed up bro. It would be +30mm offset and 6" bs not the way you listed it.

With that wheel you should have very little problems fitting 35x12.5's with the Bilstein's set at 2". The oem 18" wheel has 6" bs and +44mm offset(different offset because it is only a 7.5" wide wheel). a few people have used the oem 18's to fit 35's and the only problem they encountered was a rub on either the knuckles or the UCA's. I ran a set of 35x12.5's on a set of 18x9's w/ 5.47" bs and +12mm offset. I didn't have any truck-side rub but I had a rub on the outer-side. I had to trim the corner off of the front valance and the back-inner portion of the front fender flares. That set-up included a 2" leveler up front. With your wheels having factory bs but being wider, there will be less tire overhang on the rim and you should have more clearance on the backside as compared to using the oem 18's. You will have more tire on the outter side of the wheel though so you may encounter some rubbing just like I did. Some simple and minor trimming will remedy that though. Take a look at my album pics to see the trimming I had to do.

You have nothing to worry about. It will work fine!

Old 03-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Thanks Guys

Yeah I did switch the BS and Off set #'s. Thanks for the feed back guys. Also was wandering if I'll need to set the rear shocks up on the 1 inch raised setting for fit. I would rather not, I'm looking for that level look but I pull a 19ft scarab in the summer and don't want the tires to hit back there. You guys can see where the confusion comes, in the first response it was a no. So I hope tlt008 is right sounds like he knows his stuff. This is my first Ford and I'm loving it. Just couldn't stand looking like every other truck out there.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:15 AM
Suspended
if your towing, i would get an AAL, will help alot with the sag and depending on the AAl you get any where between 1" and 2" of lift.

as for rear shocks on 1" settings, thats not how rear shocks work on these trucks.

other options for rear lift would be a larger rear block, Autospring sells a 3" block that would raise you a little more than an inch i believe.

Last edited by 06yz250f; 03-07-2009 at 02:18 AM.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:50 AM
Ok I thought that I could set it up a inch by using that setting on the shock, shows you how little I know about this. Something else my mechanic said was "I cant believe you bought chrome, they'll peel in two years time and you wont be able to keep a bead on the rim." I love the guy but he's really busting my bubble. You guys ever hear of this?

Old 03-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Suspended
depending on where you live, chrome might not be the best choice during winters with salt all over the road. i have never heard of peeling unless people didn't take care of their wheels tho or the wheels were just cheap.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:06 PM
moto metal's will not peel. screw that mechanic lol

Old 03-07-2009, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by hoosier47129
Ok I thought that I could set it up a inch by using that setting on the shock, shows you how little I know about this. Something else my mechanic said was "I cant believe you bought chrome, they'll peel in two years time and you wont be able to keep a bead on the rim." I love the guy but he's really busting my bubble. You guys ever hear of this?
Considering his user name contains hoosier I am going to assume he might be from Indiana. The wheels won't peel but they will pit real bad from the road salt. The bilsteins can only be adjusted on the front but like others have said get an AAL ( add a leaf ) for the rear so it won't be sagging bad when you pull your camper. Hope this helps you some. Welcome to the site too !

Old 03-07-2009, 02:57 PM
if you do have snowy winters- throw the stockers on for winter. i know tons of people who do that- including myself

Old 03-08-2009, 12:08 AM
Thanks again guys

Yeah I'm a Indiana man . Thanks for the welcome, people here have been very helpful. Thats a good idea with keeping my stockers was thinking of selling them but for no more than I'd get, may as well hang on to them for the bad salt times which is only a couple of months a year. I think I'll wait to see how bad it sags when I put the boat on before adding the leaf. I really want that level look. I'll let you guys know how the fit turned out. "If" it works should look sweet.
After thinking about it my mechanic made another bubble busting comment. Said "Better be ready to run through the break pads with that big of a tire" Never heard anybody on these posts express the pads wearing out that much quicker. Don't know why he's haten on my set up because he just got done building a hella rock crawler.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by hoosier47129
Yeah I'm a Indiana man . Thanks for the welcome, people here have been very helpful. Thats a good idea with keeping my stockers was thinking of selling them but for no more than I'd get, may as well hang on to them for the bad salt times which is only a couple of months a year. I think I'll wait to see how bad it sags when I put the boat on before adding the leaf. I really want that level look. I'll let you guys know how the fit turned out. "If" it works should look sweet.
After thinking about it my mechanic made another bubble busting comment. Said "Better be ready to run through the break pads with that big of a tire" Never heard anybody on these posts express the pads wearing out that much quicker. Don't know why he's haten on my set up because he just got done building a hella rock crawler.
I always understood if you swapped out a bigger rim that you just didn't stop as quick with more weight having to be slowed down. You are just really upgrading tires and not wheels so I wouldn't think it would be a huge difference. Mechanic is probably either one envious of what you bought, two is looking out for you and trying to help, or three doesn't like aftermarket parts on a daily driver truck. I'm sure somebody else will let you know for sure if this is really a problem like your mechanic is saying.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:26 PM
Suspended
break pads will wear quicker as they are working harder, but is it going to shorten the life that much, probly not. i have 24k on my stock pads and 19k of that has been lifted with 35's and i still stop fine. and the breaking distance compared to stock really isn't that noticeable i thought

Old 03-09-2009, 07:59 PM
i just got my 33's on my 2wd.

i do notice it being a tiny bit tougher to slow down, but that could also be cause my speedometer is off and i'm going faster than i think!

it's really not even noticeable unless you pay close attention to it.