ATV in the bed

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 04:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATV in the bed

I have a 2005 f150 screw 5.4l 4X4 that i usually use to pull my atv around but recently i have bought a 2 second atv. I have a toolbox in the bed which means the wheels are on the tailgate closer to the end. The 4wheeler weighs about 800lbs my question is could there be any problems with the weight being on the tailgate or suspension for long periods of time. i hope not but could be up to two weeks if need be. It is strapped down VERY good so that is not an issue but if there is a problem what could be a solution that would cure the problem. Thanks for your help.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:03 AM
I'd be a little nervous about the gate straps.. Also, take a look at an ATV tie down product called "Louisiana Guard Dog". I is a device that utilizes your trailer hitch and allows you to lock the ATV to it's trailer hitch. With this the weight of the ATV rides primarily on your trucks trailer hitch..

Old 02-15-2009, 09:21 AM
You might want to consider a helper spring to beef up the rear a little. I think the lightest one you can get allows for an additional ~900 lbs. My wheeler only weighs about 600 lbs and makes the rear sag fairly noticeably. If it's strapped down good enough, there shouldn't be a safety issue, but the hitch mounted retention system referred to above would add an extra measure of security and safety. But if I had two wheelers to hail around, I'd personally rather have a 14-16 ft trailer instead.

Quick Reply: ATV in the bed