Torsion Bars. Started Fiddlin' With Them...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torsion Bars. Started Fiddlin' With Them...

Just prior to my allignment I began tweaking my Torsion Bar bolts-I wanted about .5-.75 more lift out of the nose w/o losing the slightly nose down look that I think is appropriate for handling and aerodynamics.

I also wanted to allow for me in the driver seat at roughly 250 lbs dressed. I wanted to favor the left side with a smidge more height, and wanted to allign it with me in it (which annoyed the tech so much I ended up just letting him do it-his argument is when the engine is under load it all equals out-which there is some truth to that as well).

Long story short I ended up with 2.5 turns pax, 3.5 turns driver giving me a rough .5 / .75 inch increase respectively, evening out body height +/- with me in it (maybe less, but at least it is not off by more than a 1/4 of an inch). All measuring was done with a 1/2 tank. I also am no where near bottoming out the bolts.

Ride firmed up a bit, giving the new Rancho 5000 a bit of firmness they seemed lacking at the stock settings. Actually, over certain potholes the ride felt abusive, and I was prepeared to go back 1 turn each until I checked my pressure. The allignment tech decided to raise my tires 4-5 lbs
Thanks. Changed them back to where I want them, 31lbs cold all around at 80 degrees. I'll test drive this morning. I expect good results now that I am not running 40lbs warm in the front!!

FWIW, these are slightly oversized for the rim, and an LT tire so I don't want the harsh ride and the centers wearing out faster, hence the lower pressure. If I tow, the rears will get more lbs, but untill then...

Driver is 41.5 inches ground to center fender lip (using the center of the wheel hub to line it up) and 41.25 pax side.

Quick Reply: Torsion Bars. Started Fiddlin' With Them...