Help me build the right truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me build the right truck

Ok....I need help making a few desions.
I have been looking at trucks for a month or so now and i was very set on a GMC. Well yesterday i drove by the ford dealer and there was a F150 with a 6 inch lift and 35s sitting there. I got someone to let me look in it and stuff and Before i knew i i had a credit report filled out and i was set up to buy one Right now im just waiting for them to find me one. (Said within a week) The one i test drove was a short bed single cab....Way to small for my likings. they are going to find me a 04-05 4 door.
The reseon i switch to ford was the inside comfort and the towing ability. I have a jeep and i love to go offroading with it. So i want a truck that can tow my jeep around with no problem. (4000-4500 pounds). The dealer we have in town is a BDS lift dealer. The take alot of there new and used trucks and but lifts on them. I really like the look with a 6 inch lift but im worried that it wont tow a jeep very good. The truck i drove yesterday felt like it didnt have much power. (im sure it had stock gears still) Maybe I just didnt get to test it good enough. I was city driving in heavy traffic so i couldnt realy get on it much. If i deside to get this lift then i think i will get it worked into the deal and have the dealer install it and everything. Of course i have alot of other mods picked out that im sure would add a little more HP and make tow better.(intake, duals, programer ect)

Basically they have 3 lifts to choose from
4 inch and 33s
6 inch and 35s
8 inch and 37s

I didnt like the 4 inch....It was just to small. The 8 inch was to big. Plus i think 35s are probally pushing stock axles. i can see 37s killing the axles and ball joints and stuff fast. That is how i desided on the 6inch.

Oh and one more thing. Is 26-27 a good price fore a 04-05 with under 50k miles? I told them it had to had leather, a center counsil, a sunroof and a few other little things like backup sensors and stuff. That price is with the 6 inch BDS lift and 35s. See like a good enough price? I think i can get them under 25 but i have to wait till they find me something then ill talk them down.

Sorry for the mixed up comfusing post but i keep remembering more stuff. Oh and sorry for my lack of good typing and spelling

Thank you!!!!

Last edited by ArcticCat843; 10-07-2007 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:49 AM
I think it looks like a pretty good deal!! I would go with the 6 inch lift. Remember your going to need to put new gears on sooner or later with the 35's so plan ahead for that budget expense!! Maybe if you get ford to put new gears in then you might save some while ur buying the truck.

Yeah i have an ext cab and wish i got a 4door!! So go big or go home !! Nothing against single/ext cab drivers!

Old 10-07-2007, 11:57 AM
I dont think that they will do gears......but how much does that cost? I know in a jeep it is a little over a grand to have it regeared so that isnt to bad. I can probally come up with that much.

Oh and i deff cant deal with a reg cab.....Way to small....A ex cab isnt that bad but then no one really wants to ride in the back. Plus i go up north alot and stuff and i would like to be able to throw bags and stuff in the back. Im hoping they find me one soon....I would really like to make another trip to silver lake dunes this year and test it out

Anyone with a 6 inch lift ever tow a car????

Old 10-07-2007, 12:24 PM
I read in another post that to regear it costs around $1000 which isn't that bad i guess!

Take a look around at the trucks that have Rize 8 inch lifts. You might like those. I think they are very nice and a lot of members would agree!

Old 10-07-2007, 01:03 PM
Remember, if you plan on going offroading, you'll need to regear the front AND the back.

4x4 + different gears front/back = DOH!

Old 10-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Yeah....I know

oh and it equals exploded tcase lol

I dont plan on offroading with it....Im keeping my jeep for that. At the most i would take it out on the dunes or somthing or maybe use it to recover my jeep. I want to keep it nice so i dont want to mud it. i have enough of those problems with my jeep.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:49 PM
I think you made a good choise going with a ford, if you plan on towing alt with a lifted truck you need new gears and might want a new leaf pack for the back. Gear wise go 4.56s

Old 10-07-2007, 02:41 PM
So i should make sure they do a full pack lift instead of a block and add a leaf right? 4.56s huh? I plan todo alot of highway driving too with and without towing. What kinda milage should i expect. I get about 8 with my jeep so it can be worse than that.
Were is a good place to have it done? does the ford dealer do it?

Old 10-07-2007, 04:30 PM
I believe you will get between 12 and 16 mpg...

Old 10-08-2007, 06:24 PM
Well....I figured id give you guys a update in my progress....the ford dealer called....they havent found one yet but are still looking.
I went to our insurance company today to find out how much that is going to be.....Just to run numbers this is what he figured in
04 supercrew, 4x4, 40000 miles, Full coverage 3500+ A YEAR!!!!!!!!
I thought he was joking and i giggled a little....He wasnt.
He gave me some stupid speach about how they discourage "young fellers" like me to buy a new truck. The hole thing pissed me off and that little comment about set me over.

So im not sure what im going todo yet.....I found a teachers insurance that is really cheap and i can get in via family member so im going to check that out tomarow. If i cant get it down alot then im not going to be able to buy one. I make 9 bucks a hour in a factory....I have enough saved up to just pay one off but my money is infested and i dont want to move it. so i need to run some nmber and stuff i guess. I cant handle a payment of 400+ and a insurance payment of 450 each month....I just dont make enough money.

So I just thought that i would share....Sorry for my little rant

Quick Reply: Help me build the right truck