GT500 Short Block for my Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's a couple lightning guys that have gone this route. Very reliable. Looking forward to seeing it done.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:43 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
is piston from 2v, 3v and 4v all compatible and creat the same compression?

any idea how many miles on on the shortblock?

makes you wonder were that kaase motor ended up and what it cost. i would not even know where to start but has to be north of $25k. i love the cobraR intake. to me that is one of the best looking engines i have ever seen. imo

twin , you have obviously made some great real world choices on your truck. balancing what you want, budget and keeping it on the road and not stuck in a garage or storage building. how many miles a year are you putting on it?

Last edited by BROTHERDAVE; 04-27-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BROTHERDAVE
is piston from 2v, 3v and 4v all compatible and creat the same compression?

any idea how many miles on on the shortblock?

makes you wonder were that kaase motor ended up and what it cost. i would not even know where to start but has to be north of $25k. i love the cobraR intake. to me that is one of the best looking engines i have ever seen. imo

twin , you have obviously made some great real world choices on your truck. balancing what you want, budget and keeping it on the road and not stuck in a garage or storage building. how many miles a year are you putting on it?
This short block had just under 30k on it. I will use it as is. With a 51-52cc head which is what I have been able to gather our 3V heads are the CR will be 8.4:1 which is stock for this engine in a GT500. Depending on how much I shave the heads this will of course increase the CR. 8.4:1 is a substantial drop from the stock 9.8:1 but very much welcomed for higher boost on 93 octane. I would love to run 21 degrees of timing with 14-16psi. That would be a killer setup.

I haven't driven mine near as much this past year. New job and a company car has taken me away from it. 98k on the clock. Not bad original owner since Sep of 07.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:32 AM
Yeah you will drop CR but static will bring it back up.

Been meaning to ask:

• Are you gonna freshen it up a little? Or just clean the deck and pop the heads on?

• Going for the 12mm plug head or reuse your OE?

• ARP head studs or OEM bolts?

• What HG are you gonna use?

• We assume that is the OE GT500 oil pump? Think it uses a different pick up (JDM recommend that pump)

• What other upgrades or new parts for the build (IE New water pump? etc)

• Gonna use them #80's?

• Does the OEM MAF in 95mm housing work for 800hp @ crank?

• Considered Phaser locks? (Will be on my shopping list)

• Who is gonna tune it? (Email or RR?)

Last edited by Ross-FX4; 04-28-2015 at 03:48 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by Ross-FX4
Yeah you will drop CR but static will bring it back up.

Been meaning to ask:
• Are you gonna freshen it up a little? Or just clean the deck and pop the heads on?
Claen and mount the heads. It's basically perfect as is with just under 30k on it.

• Going for the 12mm plug head or reuse your OE?
Trying to decide. Just swapping heads with fresh gaskets and seals including valve stem seals is very tempting from a budget stand point. Though a port and polish on my stock heads with blower cams would be a riot. The only way I will switch to the 08 nd up heads is if I find a deal I can't walk away from. The plugs sticking is not an issue for me as I swap plugs to frequently. Plus I have brand new coils for my 07 heads.

• ARP head studs or OEM bolts?
Plan to use ARP studs. This would be especially beneficial if I just reuse my heads and later decide to port and polish.

• What HG are you gonna use?
Ford Motorsport all the way.

• We assume that is the OE GT500 oil pump? Think it uses a different pick up (JDM recommend that pump)
The stock GT500 oil pump is the same pump as used in the 3V motors. I will be looking in to any pickup issues but I don't forsee and problems.

• What other upgrades or new parts for the build (IE New water pump? etc)
New water pump for sure. New Ford gaskets. Replace all timing componets and would prefer blower cams that improve performance up to 6500rpm as that's where I'll be shifting.

• Gonna use them #80's?
Not sure. Don't think I will need them as I don't plan to push more then 600rwhp. They like everything are always for sale.

• Does the OEM MAF in 95mm housing work for 800hp @ crank?
The stock MAF sensor pegs in the 95mm housing right around 500rwhp. I have the BA5000 MAF sensor in the 95mm housing so I'm covered there.

• Considered Phaser locks? (Will be on my shopping list)
I'll determine that based upon the cam I use. Really don't want to do away with it. To many benefits to having depending upon the cam of course.

• Who is gonna tune it? (Email or RR?)
JDM or Lund. Leaning hard towards Lund. Love the new N Gauge setup and the tuning software they are developing. Making SCT look like childs play. Again cost will be a major factor and I already have a JDM tune they can modify and build from. If I go JDM I will travel to their shop. Lund I would do dyno tuning through the network they have setup.
Excited about the build. Very tempted to just swap the short block and run it as is with my factory heads and cams. I'm already pulley'd for 14psi so it would be great fun not having to worry about the bottom end. Up the timing and rev limiter. That alone would put me in the 11's.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by twinskrewd
Claen and mount the heads. It's basically perfect as is with just under 30k on it.
That's good to hear. I wouldn't open any bearing up if the block is clean.

Trying to decide. Just swapping heads with fresh gaskets and seals including valve stem seals is very tempting from a budget stand point. Though a port and polish on my stock heads with blower cams would be a riot. The only way I will switch to the 08 nd up heads is if I find a deal I can't walk away from. The plugs sticking is not an issue for me as I swap plugs to frequently. Plus I have brand new coils for my 07 heads.
A Port & Polish job would be a great upgrade and future proof the top end, CNC is the future but $$$$ for a nice job. It's the only thing holding me up really. Not sure if I wanna build then have to tear it apart later.

Your heads will be fine, I don't know why I even asked about the revised heads?

Plan to use ARP studs. This would be especially beneficial if I just reuse my heads and later decide to port and polish.
Good choice but I don't think the heads will come off in situ with studs?

Ford Motorsport all the way.
Another good choice.

The stock GT500 oil pump is the same pump as used in the 3V motors. I will be looking in to any pickup issues but I don't forsee and problems.
See, I was told the GT500 pump is an upgrade with larger pick up, it won't make any difference with the block, it's the sump that may affect the tube.

New water pump for sure. New Ford gaskets. Replace all timing componets and would prefer blower cams that improve performance up to 6500rpm as that's where I'll be shifting.
Nice, any paticular profile? I heard / read: Thumper cams work just as well on blowers.

Not sure. Don't think I will need them as I don't plan to push more then 600rwhp. They like everything are always for sale.
Ah, Iam still on the look out for some Injectors. Still on paternity leave but once I get back to work, we can work a deal out, maybe a trade?

The stock MAF sensor pegs in the 95mm housing right around 500rwhp. I have the BA5000 MAF sensor in the 95mm housing so I'm covered there.
So you are using a BA500 right now?

I'll determine that based upon the cam I use. Really don't want to do away with it. To many benefits to having depending upon the cam of course.
I think this would be an awesome upgrade TBH, You can reuse your phasers as they are effectively static. Think about it.

JDM or Lund. Leaning hard towards Lund. Love the new N Gauge setup and the tuning software they are developing. Making SCT look like childs play. Again cost will be a major factor and I already have a JDM tune they can modify and build from. If I go JDM I will travel to their shop. Lund I would do dyno tuning through the network they have setup.
You are lucky to be close'ish to good tuners.

Excited about the build. Very tempted to just swap the short block and run it as is with my factory heads and cams. I'm already pulley'd for 14psi so it would be great fun not having to worry about the bottom end. Up the timing and rev limiter. That alone would put me in the 11's.
11's would be a walk in the park with that set up.

It's tempting to assemble and get er going. Believe me, I have been close to installing but the heads are so important IMO.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:07 AM
That's good to hear. I wouldn't open any bearing up if the block is clean.
A Port & Polish job would be a great upgrade and future proof the top end, CNC is the future but $$$$ for a nice job. It's the only thing holding me up really. Not sure if I wanna build then have to tear it apart later. Good choice but I don't think the heads will come off in situ with studs?
Thats part of my dilemma I would prefer to port and polish them and freshen up everything. That would also lend itself towards use of the head studs. If I have to pull them off again head bolts would be best as the heads won't come off with studs while the engine is installed.
See, I was told the GT500 pump is an upgrade with larger pick up, it won't make any difference with the block, it's the sump that may affect the tube.
The oil pump itself is the same from the GT500. Even has 3V stamped on it and part numbers cross. The pickup I have no doubt is different. That's okay as I will be using my pickup and oil pan.

Nice, any paticular profile? I heard / read: Thumper cams work just as well on blowers.
Looking hard at the Comp Cams 127350. I like the 127450 but would like a nastier idle. The 127550 is my favorite idle and profile and will likely be the one I go with.

Ah, Iam still on the look out for some Injectors. Still on paternity leave but once I get back to work, we can work a deal out, maybe a trade?
More then happy to consider a trade of some type or make deal. Need the money for other stuff so ready to get them gone.
So you are using a BA500 right now?
Yes. Been using it since November of 2011. I switched to the BA5000 when I went to 60lb injectors and 12psi.
I think this would be an awesome upgrade TBH, You can reuse your phasers as they are effectively static. Think about it.
You are lucky to be close'ish to good tuners.
11's would be a walk in the park with that set up.
It's tempting to assemble and get er going. Believe me, I have been close to installing but the heads are so important IMO.
All of it is tempting. The Comp 127550 cam will need the phaser limiter which would suit me fine. I still get some benefit from the phasers which will help with low end torque having such a mid to high range cam. Again it will be a while before I move forward as money is my hold up. One or two good storms or hurricanes would fix that though. So fingers crossed. May get this done by fall if the weather sucks lol.

Last edited by twinskrewd; 05-01-2015 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:39 PM
I know the mustang guys LOVE the 550 cam. In a truck you may need more gear to help get the bitch rolling as you'll lose some lower end with the RPM/power band shift. I would gladly give up VCT for the sheer power they would create.

Old 05-02-2015, 12:11 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was always fascinated by the Extrude honing for preparing the heads, but i don't see it being used much.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by IR0NS1N
I know the mustang guys LOVE the 550 cam. In a truck you may need more gear to help get the bitch rolling as you'll lose some lower end with the RPM/power band shift. I would gladly give up VCT for the sheer power they would create.
That is a concern with that cam. I did some research and found some post stating the dyno graph from stock cams to the 127550 was pretty much identical from idle to 4900rpm. From there they start gaining over the stockers. Decisions decisions

Old 05-09-2015, 05:28 PM
Well she is all cleaned up and protected with white lithium grease, sealed in a bag, with a moving blanket on top lol. Spoke to Livernois yesterday about servicing my heads and CNC porting. Not a bad price for what they offer. $2100 gets you all new valves with custom grind, stainless intake and inconel exhaust, new lash adjusters, and followers. Waiting for a return call from TEA and Pro Weld Performance as I would like to compare prices and services

T
Name:  image_8.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  209.7 KB

Name:  image_12.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  444.3 KB

Name:  image_9.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  347.4 KB

Here are some cylinder shots. Was able to read part numbers on pistons and all.

Name:  image_10.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  216.9 KB

Name:  image_11.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  231.6 KB

Old 05-10-2015, 12:53 PM
Got the 2.70 blower pulley from JDM. Not bad $60+$12 shipping. Used the $70 rebate from my new General Grabber UHP to get it. Here are some pics. Can't wait to get the tires on the end of this week. The pulley will make 16psi so not installing it until the GT500 short block is in. Sick tread pattern on these. Got them for $652 shipped not including the rebate. Had these on my Roush 20" wheels and loved them.

Name:  image_7.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  136.5 KB

Name:  image_6.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  223.5 KB

Name:  image_5.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  199.2 KB

Old 05-10-2015, 07:14 PM
Nice one. Looks great.

Spending some money eh? That's the spirit.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:45 PM
Nice one. Looks great.

Spending some money eh? That's the spirit.
Yeah. Had to have the tires though. Lucked out on the price and rebate.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:39 PM
Ran across a deal I couldn't refuse on cams. Not the ones I planned on but for the money I couldn't pass it up. Ford Performance Hot Rod Cams on the way. Never gonna pay off my credit card lol.

Quick Reply: GT500 Short Block for my Build