switching out the speakers in my thunderform

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
switching out the speakers in my thunderform

Here's the deal, I purchased a MTX thunderform box this summer for my Reg Cab F150. I love the box and the way it blends in, and I tried to give the stock speakers that came with the box a chance (They're just the regular MTX's) but they aren't getting r' done. So what would you guys suggest I replace them with? I was looking at RF HX2 10in I think, any suggestions?

Old 10-21-2004, 12:11 AM
Anyone?

Old 10-21-2004, 08:45 AM
I have the Thunderform that slides under the rear passenger side seat of my '97 SuperCab. I replaced the original subs with MTX 8000s. They are a huge improvement. They were suitable for the air space, and I got them for 1/2 price. I've seen where Xtant subs can be added as an upgrade. That's a high end brand name that is owned by the same company that owns MTX. But you are not limited to those. As long as you have the correct mounting depth and the correct air space, you could use any number of subs. I would recommend that if you are going to the trouble of changing the originals, be sure that what you get is an improvement. Regardless of how "good" a sub is, if it isn't used properly in the correct box, etc. , and amplified properly, you may be disappointed. In other words, you can buy a sub that is actually "better" than what you have in terms of performance capabilities, but if it isn't suitable for the box you have, it may sound worse than what you have.

Old 10-22-2004, 01:16 PM
FBomb,

I've been looking for max power subs that would fit the Thunderform. If you already have the subs out of the box, could you measure the Thunderform's depth and post the figs on here. I need to know the exact depth which should be around 4.8 I believe.

Thanks.

Old 10-24-2004, 02:40 PM
I have the Reg. Cab tunderform with the Xtant "upgrade" subs. It sounds great to me. I don't know how the MTX subs are in the box, but these Xtants are definitely "getting 'r done".

I tried some JL 10-W3's and another brand of sub in the thunderform box, and neither sound as good as the Xtant. JL subs are awesome, but the W3 series isn't for this box. Just like 97f250 said, it is most important to find a sub that fits the box correctly.

You may check out ebay and see if they have the Xtant subs that go in the thunderform box.

-Eric

Old 10-25-2004, 04:25 PM
I also have an Xtant sub in my Thunderform box. It came that way som I can't compare it to how an MTX sounds. I'm very pleased with it and it has more than enough bass for me.

-Craig

Old 10-26-2004, 01:34 AM
The box is a very standard size so you don't have to worry too much about if they will fit in that regard. Most speakers use the same stamped steel design or the 'venezualan' cast aluminum frame; both of which fit. The only concern is depth and magnet diameter. It has been a while but I believe you have roughly 6" with a standard diameter magnet.

The other thing to note is that the reg cab thunderform has a HUGE amount of airspace for 2 10"s. It is designed for large box subs at .9ft³ per sub.

Quick Reply: switching out the speakers in my thunderform