comments or suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 09:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
comments or suggestions

After much research, reading various forums, asking many questions and looking at my finances I have finally come up with a system I am hoping to be adequate.

It's been 10 years or more since I have set up a decent sound system in my vehicle so any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

First - what I want: Crisp, clean - at true to original as possible - sound. I listen to a lot of 60-80 rock as well as some newer rock and (due to my wife) country.

The System:

Currently Installed:
Pioneer Premier DEH-P960MP with 4 factory speakers.

Envisioned:
HU: Pioneer Premier DEH-P960MP
FR Spkrs: Pioneer TS-C1353 Component set.
RE Spkrs: Pioneer TS-P682 Component Set.
Subs: Kicker Comp (old SVC type) 2x8"
Amps: 1xPioneer GM6000F for the doors
and 1xPioneer GM5000T for the subs

This puts 50watts RMS to the doors and gives 125watts RMS to each sub.

As I do not intend to enter any sound contests and since I feel no need to wake the neighborhood up when I come home late (early?) some morning, I was thinking this would be decent. But I haven't messed with this stuff for quite some time so I would appreciate any insight into the components I have mentioned or power deficiencies or whatever you can think of.

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my previous posts and helped me "remember" half of what I have forgotten.

Old 09-19-2004, 11:44 PM
Pioneer makes great decks...and that is about it. Their speakers have never been much to talk about. I recommend going with another brand for speakers, subs, and amps. Better can be found for the same price.

Old 09-20-2004, 12:25 AM
Just say no to rear speakers! Seriously.

If you must have a rear fill, then just use stock speakers run off HU power. If you use good rear speakers with power sent to them, especially components it will pull the sound stage away from the front.

As for what you picked out

Pioneer HU's are really good.

There amps, well the older Premier PRS series where great, but I don't know about the rest. So can't comment.

Speakers, I've never had a problem with them though many people hate them. I've had 6x8's that sounded great of HU power for a long time, I've ran older Premier comps which where good except the highs were to much for me (titanium tweeter), and older regular comps which where fine.

But like Deus said, you can get better for the price.

Just follow these rules and you will be fine:

Rule #1 - it's what matters to your ears, go and listen to as much as possible and remember it will not sound like that in your car.
Rule #2 - INSTALL, a proper install with mediocre equipment will sound better then a bad install with great quality equipment.

Old 09-20-2004, 01:20 AM
i got a Pioneer MP3/CD HU, a pair of CDT HD-62z 6.5" components, Pair of CDT CL-6x coaxial speakers for the rear fill (runs off the HU), and a Cadence z8000 150w 2 channel amp. Did the install with my father and it sounds absolutely great! The bass is a little weak at times, and distorts when turned up really loud cause of the HU, but it is only that loud when i show it off. The sound quality is great and it is plenty loud. If you were interested in some CDT speakers, i can give you a dealers AIM name. he got me my components for 350 which are 650 on their website. I even called cdt and the told me he was an authorized dealer so i got the 4 year warranty. now all i need are some subs!

Old 09-22-2004, 01:47 AM
Well, I finally hauled my broken **** into my truck and headed to what amounts to the only decent audio music store in Bismarck, ND. These guys deal exclusively with Eclipse, Diamond and Crossfire equipment and of course as soon as I was in the door a salesman was trying to sell me crossfire subs to replace my kickers. Bah!

Anyway, after ditching this guy and talking with another who really knew his sound I decided that Deus is right about the speakers and amps. I already own the kicker subs (original svc kicker comp series that I've had for 11 years now and they still sound good).

I will go with captainoblivious' suggestion in not getting fancy with the rears. Though I will eventually replace them with a coax pair and run them off of the HU.

Back to a bit of research. Listened to some great pieces today, but my budget for this doesn't allow for buying $250+ components. Anyone have a good cost effective solution for somone that wants sharp sounding rock?

Old 09-22-2004, 01:27 PM
What is your budget? Ordering over the internet an issue? Do you have a problem with used?

I got a pair of JL XR650-CSi (comps) and JL TR650CXi (coaxil) used but practically brand new shipped to my door for $240. Not the greatest but still a good deal.

thezeb.com has the pioneer rev'spioneer rev's for $140, I haven't heard them but they are supposed to be amazing for Pioneers. They have a low power consumption, I think like 40-60 watts RMS.

There is a guy on the Sound Domain forums, djdillion (I think) that is an authorized CDT dealer and can get good prices. CDT has comps in the $150ish range, on people on the SD boards rave about them. These need 100+rms.

Don't worry to much about getting to much power, you really don't need. Especially in trucks. For the past couple of weeks I was running my XR comp's off a blaupunkt PA2100 (100x2) amp, llast night I switched to a Mark Antony 1003s amp (50x2 + 100x1) and it's not as loud, but much better sounding, plus I got a crappy sub in which still helps. Now I just have to EQ it.

Old 09-25-2004, 12:35 PM
I had a budget of $500 (just got married and the wife is freaking out about how much it put us in the hole - hehe .. I told her we shoulda just seen a judge) for adding speakers and amps so I was getting all wound up. I decided to get Diamond M351 components for the fronts and Diamond M661XL3 midbass drivers for the back.

I ordered a Kenwood Excelon KAC-X650D amp for everything (5 channels 60Wx4/200Wx1).

I listened to the speakers here at the local car audio shop and was quite happy with the sound . the highs weren't over powering and everything sounded nice and clean.

I ended up spending $620 on everything .. the speakers from onlinecarstereo and the amp from discountjungle.

Hopefully it will all turn out good.

Last edited by seawolfe; 09-27-2004 at 01:48 PM.

Quick Reply: comments or suggestions