Lightning

Talked to SVT about the Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2000, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Talked to SVT about the Clunk

I spoke to Jason at SVT about the Front end CLUNK he said that you can take your L to the dealer and have them call "Jack Doss" at the tech center and they can resolve the problem... Jack Doss is the engineer put in charge of this problem..

------------------
Richie

badredsvt@thepit.net

Red '00 Delivered June 2nd 2000

Bassani cat backs

Swansons Chip and MAF

1999 CBR 900 RR

1998 Harley Softail Custom

74 Chevy Pickup 502Ci Blown 850hp

Old 07-21-2000, 01:26 PM
Sir Robert of High Velocity:

The original post which you found so humorous ("One Baaaaaad Pontiac..."), has not, I repeat, not, been deleted. It is still posted in all its glory a few pages back in the pile. Had me scratching the cranium there for a minute.

You're probably right about SVT's fix. I have been fortunate that the fix my dealer applied - through cleaning/roughening of the mating surfaces and lots of torque - helped and has held just fine so far. I hate to weld on the control arm, as I work closely with structural failure/metallurgy guys, and you would be astonished as to what a little-bitty weld can do the the structural integrity and corrosion resistance of a metallic part.

I don't plan on heading to Norwalk - where is the place, and what's going on there? I'm not yet even broken in - 1000 miles on the clock since taking delivery in May. I am decidedly NOT on of the "daily driver" gang. You'll be drooling on mine 15 years from now at the car show, wondering how it could possibly look so clean and new. I'll stack some miles on, but they're sure not going to be "grocery run" or worse yet, "commuting" miles. That's what the Benzo is for. That's not a rant - just trying to explain the shamefully low mileage before anybody asks.

------------------
Silver Y2K Lightning
Bone Stock w/ Duraliner, Ford Hitch Cover

Silver (matching) Y2K ML320 Benz
Burl (ML430) Shift ****

Beater 1992 Grand Prix
Commuter Mule

Old 07-21-2000, 02:59 PM
Location: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
Sir Silver pre-millennium SVT,

I stand corrected in that the "One Baaad...." post has not been deleted. I was buried so fast I thought big brother may have "wielded the big stick."

Norwalk is about 30 minutes south of Sandusky, Ohio (about three hours from you I believe). For more information on the event, I provided the necessary linkage... https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/004509.html

I am headed there not to race but to enter the truck show, engage in some en-Lightning conversation with fellow Second Generation brethren and maybe, just maybe, be able to install a chip if a certain individual from New York is present.

You make an interesting point on welding the washer and the possible effects on structural integrity. One suggestion may be to have the star washer installed as you did after retrofitting/replacing the rubber control arm bushings with polyurethane.

Old 07-21-2000, 11:38 PM
Just received notice that MY fix for the dreaded "moving control arm bolt" is in.

The dealer told me that CONTROL ARMS and a Cam Bolt kit arrived to fix my 2000. It gets dropped off Monday and I will post the results/Part numbers etc.

Old 07-22-2000, 12:12 AM
...and what exactly will Mr. Doss tell them? In other words, what is the current "proper fix"?

------------------
Silver Y2K Lightning
Bone Stock w/ Duraliner, Ford Hitch Cover

Silver (matching) Y2K ML320 Benz
Burl (ML430) Shift ****

Beater 1992 Grand Prix
Commuter Mule

Old 07-22-2000, 12:26 AM
Not sure what he will tell them ... I just got the info and was passing it on.. Once I take the L to the dealer and they call MR. Doss and fix it I will post more info

------------------
Richie

badredsvt@thepit.net

Red '00 Delivered June 2nd 2000

Bassani cat backs

Swansons Chip and MAF

1999 CBR 900 RR

1998 Harley Softail Custom

74 Chevy Pickup 502Ci Blown 850hp

Old 07-22-2000, 12:41 AM
Location: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
Exclamation

Silver y2k,

Flame on----

I'll bet the instructions involve having your local SVT dealer put his best generic-cigarette-smokin, 'shoe-tossin, milwaukee's best-suit case-drinkin, catcher's-mit-skinned "technician" on it to remove all the wax surrounding the affected surfaces, install star washer, then grab said technician's hay-lper and torquing the monkey snot out of it with breaker bars.

Flame off-----

As you can tell, I got a real charge from your now-deleted prose. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

Seriously, welding the washers to the controll arm and installing the cam bolt kit is the best remedy I've read. Too bad this is becoming another bruise for Ford. I'd like them to install the cam bolts under warranty since my dealer refused to weld the washers.

Are you venturing to Norwalk in September?

------------------
Brake Late, Dive Deep

Speedin Bob
'99 Red Lightning #2504 Built 6/17/99
NLOC # 438
13.98 @ 98 mph (Rookie Session)
Latest Mods:
Wet Okole Seat Covers
Mobil One and FilterMag
Airaid w/ Autophysics filter retrofit
Clear Corners & Tails
Bug Shield