Lightning

Water/Methanol Injection Rocks!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Water/Methanol Injection Rocks!

I finished installing a Water/Methanol kit from Snow Performance.. It took a while to figure out the best place for everything, but folks comment me on how factory it looks in there.

If you are considering it, do it. This thing makes awesome power. I didn't even compensate for more timing yet (and am told I could go as high as 26 initial, but will keep it limited to 20). I have to say that it is probably the best mod to date. Plus you don't have to worry about bad gas, etc.

I hope to get some time slip's soon to see how much difference it makes. Everybody that's been in my truck was really impressed with the new performance.

Old 10-25-2004, 05:56 PM
wanna post some pics?

Old 10-25-2004, 06:44 PM
The best I can do for now is these 3 links. I can't share directly from Sprint.

Front side showing Water/Methanol bottle on new bracket.

Back side of new bracket, showing variable controller.

Nozzle Location

Hope that these links work OK.

Old 10-25-2004, 06:53 PM
Interesting

Old 10-25-2004, 07:50 PM
I thought the alcohol was hard on the rotors?

Old 10-25-2004, 08:54 PM
I know that the first Lightnings had a problem with the coatings, had nothing to do with water/meth injection. If you search through the posts you can find many rotor coatings in the top of the intercooler. This has nothing to do with Water/Methanol injection. It was a concern of mine also.

Old 10-25-2004, 10:16 PM
There's other L Bro's running and praising Water/Methanol injection, DEF is a smart move,
Of what little I can see in those pic's , it seems like you did
a real nice install,
CONGRATS Please keep us informed

BTW
I'd love to see someone turn a KB built Motor up to 20-22 Degrees and try this system on the 1320

Trending Topics

Old 10-25-2004, 10:43 PM
Thanks Rob,
The bad news is that the pics don't do it justice. The good news is that you can't see how badly I need to clean the engine compartment.

Now I know why people love the Water/Meth or Water/Alcohol injection. I still can't believe how much better it runs. I hope to get to the 1/8th track this Friday.

Old 10-26-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Rob_02Lightning
BTW
I'd love to see someone turn a KB built Motor up to 20-22 Degrees and try this system on the 1320

Old 10-26-2004, 12:51 PM
I thought this only made power by allowing you to turn up the boost/timing? Does just the water/meth mix give you more power without changing boost/tune?

Old 10-26-2004, 01:22 PM
Yeah, I'm also curious. How often do you have to fill the bottle? How hard / easy is it to find the mixture? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 10-26-2004, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Rob_02Lightning
26 psi with pump gas on my KB last year no problems on the freeway. No problems past 140mph either. that is with the smc kit that has variable speed pump and boost control with low level light...

Old 10-26-2004, 02:27 PM
Water injection like any other mod is hard to have a generic answer for, if it works or not.

If you have a good intercooler and no crappy fuel detonation problems, then water injection will not be of much benefit. It can actually hurt at some point, as water can't be compressed and the dynamic compression ratio can rise. Keep in mind that water injection only keeps the motor from detonating and utilizing the motors potential.

If you are turning the boost up and want to run 'pump fuel', then water injection can help allow this.

A lot of aftermarket s/c or turbo bolt on kits don't even offer an intercooler, as the boost is not high enough to cause any heat problems and substantial power loss.

I believe past posts have covered the heat increase with boost and how the intercooler is bringing temps down to show factual numbers.

Old 10-26-2004, 05:50 PM
But alot of people have crappy fuel AND our intercoolers, although they are OK, are not the best they can be..............Sooooooo.......thes kits work extremely well with the HEATON, especially the Cobras.

Old 10-26-2004, 07:16 PM
I have mine set to turn on at about 6 lbs of boost (autometer, not stock gage). If I run above 6 lbs then the injection starts and the contents of the tank go down. I don't know exactly how many minutes the tank will last at WOT. I hope to get some track time this Friday and see about how long the water/meth lasts.

easterisland has run it for longer than I have. I'd bet he has a good idea of how long it lasts. For me it's not an issue, I only fill it when it gets below 1/4 tank. I'm running 20 degrees timing on 93 octane fuel and I don't have to run race fuel.

I always thought (from reading too many posts from non owners)that it only made power by allowing more boost and timing. With those items exactly the same, on my truck, it made lots of power. I don't know if it is because of cooling, or the methanol, or both, or something else. All I know is that it works great. I bet everybody else that's running one on a lightning (or anything else force inducted) would agree.

Quick Reply: Water/Methanol Injection Rocks!