Pre-1997 Models

91 f150

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 12:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 f150

hello im going to try and make this short and sweet as possible.

i had a mustang i totaled it, i bought a 91 f150, for $800, doesnt have bad rust issues, but it needed tires, bought those, week later the alternator went and the battery went too. replaced that. now im at a dead end.

when i bought the truck, i got in and started it and ran like crap. still does to this day, i figured its going to because its probalby getting tired. theres got to be 253k on this thing, well when you select gears it shuts off, and when, it shifts into rev, it bangs hard and shuts off, it has all the gears while driving, but slips, and bangs really hard into gear so my uncle said it needed a trans and just drive it till it dies. well i dont wanna do this.

i have mechanical skills but have never done a trans before. im really not at financial greats to buy a newer car. do you think i could tackle the trans by myself? ive went to numerous places and been quoted, $750 up to 2k to put a trans into that, when i can find aod's between $300 and $900

i just want some input on this, i do not have access to a lift.so jackstands and a trans it is. i have most tools, just let me know if its worth putting a trans in this thing before i sell it.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whether it's worth it or not is up to you. you plan to keep this thing for a while? if so, a rebuild kit and a step by step manual and they are pretty easy to rebuild. Summitracing.com has lots of kits.

Quick Reply: 91 f150