Pre-1997 Models

1993 f150 302 no start fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 11:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 f150 302 no start fuel problem

1993 F150 xlt 4x4 5.0L/302 with an apparent fuel problem...

You all may as well get to know me, as I expect to be around from here on out. I am the original owner of this cosmeticaly mint truck, and recently decided to start fixing up the mechanicals to keep her on the road.

I'm not an experienced mechanic, but am not afraid to get myself into trouble. So far I have:

replaced instrument cluster
done front brake job
replaced throttle position sensor
replaced power steering gear box
did 3-nut fix and replaced seals on power windows

Dunno if its related or not, but I just completed a repair on the passenger door window, after which I discovered that the battery had completely discharged and was dead (probably due to leaving the passenger door ajar).

After charging the battery, the truck would crank normally, but not start. I don't think the engine was firing at all...no stumbling or misfiring at all, just crank. Since I think I can smell fuel after cranking, I suspected an electrical problem. I checked the rotor and, after noticing pitting on the end of it, decided to replace the cap, rotor, and coil, since they are all very old.
She still won't start, just cranks. After zapping myself a couple of times trying to confirm spark at the plugs, I used a spark tester inline with a sparkplug that I didn't even know I owned, and confirmed spark at one plug (I only tested one).

After this, I got some starter fluid and sprayed it into the throttle body, and VAROOM, she fired right up and ran until the fluid was exhausted.

Aparently I have fire but no fuel.

After reading 30-40 fuel related posts here, I tried:
1. Listening for a noise from the (two?) fuel pumps as I energize the ignition. Previous posters have commented that one should hear a wirring or humming at the tanks with the key on. While I do hear a click from the engine compartment, I don't hear any noise from either fuel tank.
2. Tried switching the tank-selector switch in the cabin, in case each tank had its own pump. This made no difference.
3. Looked at the fuse pannel, in case I have somehow blown a fuel pump fuse while recharging the battery. Surprisingly, I found no fuel pump related fuse noted in the fuse function list. If a pump fuse exists elsewhere, I don't know where it is.

It seems odd that the truck was running great until the window fix, and all of a sudden she's a no-go.

I did also notice that when the key is first turned on but before cranking, there is an idiot-light illuminated that says "FUEL RESET" that I have never noticed before. It's possible that this light goes off after starting, and I've not noticed it until I recently replaced the instrument cluster.

Sorry if this post suffers from To Much Information, but I'm not sure what information might be related to the problem.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I found the problem:

While Googleing "fuel reset light" I found that it was located behind the kick panel on the passenger side near the floor. Hummm, I thought to myself, I was just banging on that pannel to reinstall it after fixing a door-ajar switch in the front post. I pulled the panel and reset the switch.

When I cranked it the clouds parted, a beam of pure light from Heaven illuminated only my truck, I heard angels begin to sing and ......VAAAROOOM! I'm back baby

Now on to the next fix.

Thanks for all who might have responded.

Quick Reply: 1993 f150 302 no start fuel problem