Pre-1997 Models

Fuel DeliveryProblem

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel DeliveryProblem

Okay. I have a 1987 F150, 351, 4X4. It is a carbureted engine. I cranked it up, and had it warming while I was loading it. It sputtered and stopped Wouldn't restart. I added gas, and checked fuel flow to carburetor. Nothing. I installed a new mechanical pump and a new filter. Still no fuel flow. Suggestions? I am thinking about a conversion to an electric pump. Welcome any help.

Okay. Update on progress. I detached the supply from the new pump, and put it in a can of gasoline to check it. It pumps gas. I took an airgun and blew out the line coming from the tank. Truck cranked and ran for about 30 to a minute. Quit again. I'm thinking there's somehow trash in the pickup area of the tank. Anybody know if this model has a filter in the tank?

Last edited by Bob Barton; 07-20-2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Further research
Old 07-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by Bob Barton
Okay. I have a 1987 F150, 351, 4X4. It is a carbureted engine. I cranked it up, and had it warming while I was loading it. It sputtered and stopped Wouldn't restart. I added gas, and checked fuel flow to carburetor. Nothing. I installed a new mechanical pump and a new filter. Still no fuel flow. Suggestions? I am thinking about a conversion to an electric pump. Welcome any help.

Okay. Update on progress. I detached the supply from the new pump, and put it in a can of gasoline to check it. It pumps gas. I took an airgun and blew out the line coming from the tank. Truck cranked and ran for about 30 to a minute. Quit again. I'm thinking there's somehow trash in the pickup area of the tank. Anybody know if this model has a filter in the tank?
It peobably does, but it dosnt matter as you need to pull the tank and clean it out!

Old 07-23-2012, 06:53 AM
Gotta pull the tank. Looks like I'll get someone else involved. Don't have the time or the facilities to do it myself.

Quick Reply: Fuel DeliveryProblem