Pre-1997 Models

dependability of these old trucks

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 11:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dependability of these old trucks

Ive been considering selling my 04 fx4 after the engine blew at 108k miles to get a 95-96 F-150 mainly because I always liked the body style and reputation they have. I understand these trucks are nearly 20 years old so maintenance and upkeep is to be expected. But how do they stack up against the newer trucks when it comes to dependability for daily driving and fuel mileage? What are the most desired engine/transmission combinations? Wont be doing much towing other than a four wheeler in the back or a small boat occasionally and I know any engine offered will handle it. As I stated earlier, dependability for daily driving and fuel mileage are my main concerns.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:20 PM
i love these old trucks way better then the new trucks
my opinion is they tow better
the only thing i like better about the new ones in a quad cab in the f150 and fuel is better

but 95/96 has maf so ull have all the upgrades

if u want power dependablility and fuel economy id look for a 4.9 i6
they last forever and when properly maintained u get grate gas mileage

now its ur prefrance wether or not u want stick or auto

the m5od is a good 5 speed for daily driving and light towing and will give u good fuel economy

or the e4od is a good automatic overdrive trans great for towing and fuel economy

now my truck is a 90 f150 2wd 4.9 with t18 trans "4speed without overdrive" and 3.55 gears i get 16 mpg city and highway and at a constant 50 mph without stoping and going i get 19-20 mpg
i also dun a full tune up rplaced everything in the fuel sistem blew out the lines and chem dipped and rebuilt the injectors

so with overdrive and a well taken care of motor u should get 18 plus mpg highway

also i drive my truck 300 to 500 miles a week and the only problem i have is bad ball joints that have been bad since i got the truck i just got to get around to replacing them and i drive city and highway everything from crawling in trafick to 85 mph on the highway

Last edited by losthillbilly73; 01-18-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:49 PM
Good information losthillbilly thank you. What are some common issues these trucks are known for? My dad had a 96 xlt extra cab with the 300 and had absolutely no problems, then had 3 broncos 2 with 351's and 1 with a 302. I know all three of the broncos had horrible fuel economy (10-12 mpg) but would the V8s do better in a single cab pick up because of the weight?

Old 01-18-2012, 08:05 PM
yes but not by alot also broncos r 4wd 2wd will boost ur mpg but 300s in my opinion are better then 302 and 351 not as quick but i will say my 6 got some pep and she can tow a house down and dont kill me on gas

these are solid trucks and when properly maintained they dont have any major issues
also how u drive the truck plays a role too.

we have a work van 450k miles has been over heated so many times to the point of warping the head u can still go out every day start it up and drive it but now we just use it for a yard truck

Quick Reply: dependability of these old trucks