Pre-1997 Models

noise under hood causing my problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
noise under hood causing my problem

What is this noise i hear under my hood when i turn off my engine? it only last for about 10 seconds or so then whines down. It is coming from the drivers side of the engine compartment towards rear of engine.

I have been trying to track down a prolonged problem. I have a 93 f150 4.9l auto dual tanks. starts great when cold after run for a while and let site between about 5-45 minutes then stumbles and dies a few time when started. also getting 12mpg.

Have changed:
Plugs
Plug wires
Dist cap
Rotor
Coil
Fuel filter
ECT sensor
cleaned idle air control valve.

Could this noise be the culprit? any suggestions

Old 11-08-2010, 10:17 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How long has the symptom existed? What happened just before it began? Did you test the coil, ECT, or IAC before or after replacing them? Did the symptom change at all with the new parts? Do you still have the old ones? Where did the new ones come from, and what brands are they? Is 12 an unusual number for you in that truck? What did the spark plugs look like? Used spark plugs are very valuable in identifying engine problems. How many miles have you put on the new ones?

No, the noise isn't a likely cause of an engine stall. It's probably a vacuum leak in the brake booster, or a cracked line.

Last edited by Steve83; 11-08-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by Steve83
How long has the symptom existed? What happened just before it began? Did you test the coil, ECT, or IAC before or after replacing them? Did the symptom change at all with the new parts? Do you still have the old ones? Where did the new ones come from, and what brands are they? Is 12 an unusual number for you in that truck? What did the spark plugs look like? Used spark plugs are very valuable in identifying engine problems. How many miles have you put on the new ones?

No, the noise isn't a likely cause of an engine stall. It's probably a vacuum leak in the brake booster, or a cracked line.
i think that noise is coming from the fuel tank selctor switch if that on the drivers side of the engine.

i didnt test anything before replacing.. just trying cheap thing hoping they fix the prob.. been actin up for several months and im almost to the point of just selling the truck even tho it only has 67,000 miles old plugs had a very wide gap but not bad in color. everything i have tried has not made one bit of difference. all parts came from carquest.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:05 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
A switch can't make noise, and it's on the dash beside the headlight ****, anyway.

See how expensive it is just replacing cheap things? It's cheaper, quicker, & more effective to TEST things, and then ONLY replace the bad one(s).

Old 11-12-2010, 04:14 PM
I have a noise from the same area and similar idle issues. Starts fine warm idles then when idle drops it seems rough and dips as if it were going to stall. I have a 94 with the 302 engine. Sounds like its coming from the fuel pressure regulator. If not the regulator it is very close to it. I checked my fuel pressure today and it tested OK. KOEO fuel pressure was 39-40, at idle it was 33-34 psi and with vacuum line off of the regulator it jumped to 40-41 psi. Which all were within spec according to Hayes manual.

Quick Reply: noise under hood causing my problem