Pre-1997 Models

I press the brake and fuse blows & turn signals dont work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I press the brake and fuse blows & turn signals dont work.

Hello. I have a 1992 i6 f150 auto. I noticed that 1. my battery was always drained. 2. my turn signals interrmittantly work. 3. I now realized that when I press on the brake pedal the fuse blows. in addition, when checking the tail light sockets the bulbs were lit without pressing on the brake(I checked the switch, its fine).

I disconnected the wiring underneath the back of the truck to see if perhaps a socket was causing it to blow and took the bulbs out and it still blows the fuse when I hit the break.

Any ideas?

Old 10-25-2010, 02:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The brake filaments were lit when the fuse was blown??? Or was it the park filaments? Were they full-bright, or dimmer than normal?

Look for aftermarket wiring spliced into the brake circuit, like a trailer connector, or an alarm.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:07 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
The two times I've seen this came from a hacked up trailer connector install, and a miswired brake controller.

Adrianspeeder

Old 10-27-2010, 07:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problem resolved

After staring at the wiring schematic for what seemed to be days and testing the circuit to ground, I found the problem.
The problem was a grounded positive wire that came from the brake pedal switch to the multi-function switch. So instead of pulling the dash completely out, I ran a new wire and soldiered it in there.

Thanks,
Matt

Old 10-28-2010, 12:46 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd be REALLY curious about why/where the original wire shorted. If something was assembled wrong & pinched it, others could soon follow.

Quick Reply: I press the brake and fuse blows & turn signals dont work.