Pre-1997 Models

'89 F250 5.8 Temp Guage not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'89 F250 5.8 Temp Guage not working

I just bought an 89 F250 with a 5.8 liter. The truck runs strong, but I noticed that the temperature guage doesn't work. I replaced the sensor (the one with a 2 wire connection near where the hoses enter engine) and still nothing. When I was searching for a part number online for that sensor before I bought it, I notices that there were two listed on most sites- one with two wires (the one I bought) and another with just one (green) winre connection. As I was replacing the one I get, I noticed another sensor with just one green connection.

Is the second a coolant sensor as well and if so, could that be the problem?

Thanks!

Old 02-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by sidvan
I just bought an 89 F250 with a 5.8 liter. The truck runs strong, but I noticed that the temperature guage doesn't work. I replaced the sensor (the one with a 2 wire connection near where the hoses enter engine) and still nothing. When I was searching for a part number online for that sensor before I bought it, I notices that there were two listed on most sites- one with two wires (the one I bought) and another with just one (green) winre connection. As I was replacing the one I get, I noticed another sensor with just one green connection.

Is the second a coolant sensor as well and if so, could that be the problem?

Thanks!
The one with two wires sends info to the computer not the temp gauge! The single wire one is for the temp gauge! It's located back behind the dist.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:18 PM
It works!

I grounded the single wire and the gauge responded. A quick trip to the local auto parts store, $11 and 10 minutes later and the gauge works fine!!

Thanks!

Old 10-18-2008, 07:08 PM
worked for me as well!

Old 10-24-2008, 04:24 PM
For a few bucks more you could have put a real temp gauge in. The stock one on my truck technically worked, but was more of an idiot light. It would rise to a normal spot, and never move at all. It took me a while to realize that my thermostat was stuck wide open, since the gauge didn't reflect that.

For $20 I put a mechanical capillary tube gauge in, that actually tells you the temperature instead of "normal". Ford gauges suck.

Quick Reply: '89 F250 5.8 Temp Guage not working