Pre-1997 Models

Not sure if I have asked this before but...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure if I have asked this before but...

I am not sure if I have asked this before but I need an answer quickly and it needs to be accurate for what I want. I am thinking about buying a 1996 F150 from my buddy. The question has nothing to do with wether I buy it or not, but I want to know.

If I get this thing I would immediately slap on some 33" MTs.

I am not sure what engine it has in it yet and I will find out later today. So, assuming the truck has a 33" tire on it, what kind of gas mileage can I safely expect with a 302 and a 351? By the way, the truck is a SuperCab Shortbed.

Thanks for cooperating with this repetative question and thanks for the answers in advance.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This has nothing to do with tires, but check the Exhaust Manifold Studs and the y pipe flang studs.This can be a pain and veyr expensive to fix.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:05 PM
you can "expect" 22mpg on the 5.8, and 25mpg on the 5.0.

You will prolly get 12mpg with the 5.8, and 15mpg with the 5.0.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by F151
you can "expect" 22mpg on the 5.8, and 25mpg on the 5.0.

You will prolly get 12mpg with the 5.8, and 15mpg with the 5.0.
LOL that first statement got me

Old 11-26-2007, 10:33 PM
This has nothing to do with tires, but check the Exhaust Manifold Studs and the y pipe flang studs.This can be a pain and veyr expensive to fix.
Dude, what are you talking about. I'm not asking for advice on how to fix anything. I am just curious, what do you think I asked?

Old 11-27-2007, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by ktmrdr85
I am not sure if I have asked this before but I need an answer quickly and it needs to be accurate for what I want. I am thinking about buying a 1996 F150 from my buddy. The question has nothing to do with wether I buy it or not, but I want to know.

If I get this thing I would immediately slap on some 33" MTs.

I am not sure what engine it has in it yet and I will find out later today. So, assuming the truck has a 33" tire on it, what kind of gas mileage can I safely expect with a 302 and a 351? By the way, the truck is a SuperCab Shortbed.

Thanks for cooperating with this repetative question and thanks for the answers in advance.
MINE- 84' with a Jasper 351w, 4 barrel edelbrock carb, single high flow cat with a cherry bomb extreme si/do. 4" lift with 33" bfg a/t tires

Depends how ya drive really, and don't forget that the 33's will offset your odometer a little so it won't read as many miles as you're actually going. With my 33" BFG A/T KO's, my odometer misses about 1/5th of a mile I believe (So for every 6 I go, it only counts 5- if my math is correct). Just remember to keep this in mind if you do get it and ever try to calculate your MPG.

The last time I kept an eye on it, I was getting about 10mpg driving like a normal 18 year old guy. That has dropped a lot due to a recent choke issue(doesn't want to kick off).

I would imagine an EFI 351 would be slightly better as far as fuel milage goes, but I doubt by a whole lot.
And if you're hauling anything... forget about it... I don't haul anything heavier then my spare tire, and even now everytime I put the pedal to the floor it's like throwing dollar bills out the window.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:06 PM
I hear that! These trucks cost alot when it comes to the pump! Expecially with dual tanks :/ But you gotta take it or leave it. I havent calculated it because i dont want to know honestly. The more ignorant i am about it the better. All i know is shes running great. and i plan to keep it that way. Im getting some new tires soon too. Id like to get thos BFG A/Ts pretty sweet tires a buddy of mine has some on his 91 extended cab reg bed with air bags

Quick Reply: Not sure if I have asked this before but...