Pre-1997 Models

Need Help with stereo wiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help with stereo wiring

Im sure we all have bought a used vehicle, with a aftermarket or no stereo/deck, go to install one or switch it out, and find that the previous owner has cut out the factory connection, leaving you clueless as to what wires are what. I bought my truck and had nothing in it, so i put one in. I bought a new one and when i swapped it out, i noticed that i couldnt get power to the right front speaker. I looked into it further to find that someone has got the wiring screwed up horribly. Like for example, for one speaker, the negative to one speaker is hooked with the positive of a different speaker. all the speaker crack and sound horrible. Does anyone know where i can find a wiring diagram? or tell me what colors are what? All i need is the speakers. Oh and it a 93 model f150. Thanks!!

Old 11-18-2007, 01:34 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
I found that same thing in my '88 Bronco. Cept it was the stock radio. Easy trick is to take a nine volt battery and try pairs of wires. When you hear a click, you got a winner for a speaker wire pair.

Adrianspeeder

Old 11-19-2007, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo wiring is really, really tricky, since even on same models and same makes, wire colors vary from year to year making a solid "this color goes here" chart difficult.

If the speakers aren't even wired correctly (should be one pos, one neg for each speaker, and they go to that speaker ONLY), resulting in 8 total wires for what I presume is a 4 speaker system.

Here's a "general" Ford color diagram, but don't be surprised if the colors don't line up. When I swapped stereos it was from the factory so I just went with an adapter from wal-mart that cost $5 and works fine. See if this helps though.

Radio 12v lt. green/yellow
- Radio Ground black or black/lt. green
+ Radio Ignition yellow/black
+ Radio Illumination lt. blue/red (dimmer)
+ Factory Amp Turn-on dk. blue (may not apply)
LF Speaker +/ orange/lt. grn ( - lt. blue/wht )
RF Speaker +/ white/lt. grn ( - dk. green/org )
LR Speaker +/ pink/lt. green ( - tan/yellow )
RR Speaker +/ orange/red (- black/white )

If it's a total mess, you may consider re-wiring all the speakers yourself. It's not a huge job, and gives you a great opportunity to upgrade your speakers, install an amp, or whatever your plans may be. Stock Ford speakers on those era trucks were hardly spectacular. Even modest $50/pair speakers are a tremendous upgrade from stock. You probably need 6.5" round for the front, and 6x8" oval for the rear.

Last edited by RaWarrior; 11-19-2007 at 08:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Need Help with stereo wiring