Pre-1997 Models

New Alternator woes

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 02:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Alternator woes

Just replaced my weak alternator with a Powermaster 140Amp one with an internal regulator.
Fairly sure I put everything in right, seeing how it just has one cable on the alternator that runs to the starter relay.

Posted about this somewhere else, so I'm just gonna copy and paste cause I'm lazy .

Just put a 140AMP alternator in my F150 to replace the old unit that was on its way out and weak to begin with.
Now I've just noticed that whenever my RPMs increase (I have no tach so I don't know by how much exactly), my oil pressure and temp guage will drop. My pressure was reading basically nothing at cruising speed, then at a stop sign or red light when I'd slow down, it would read back up into the middle. My temp gauge always reads high, but even that will drop down with the increase of RMPs, then go back up when slowing down to an idle.

I have been noticing something though that I was thinking would go away with the power of the new alternator. When I start the truck and the first time I seem to shift into drive or whatever, the radio will cut off and then turn back on (but not reset), and it will do it the first time I hit the switch for the KCs after turning the truck on. It doesn't seem to do it after the first time after having turned the truck on though, no clue wtf it is that is causing this.

Could the starter relay be bad or something? Since doesn't the radio cut off and turn back on if you have the key in the ON position (so the radio is turned on), then fully crank it to start the truck? Seeing how the battery positive goes to the starter relay, and the alt. is on the positive of the starter relay, could this mean anything? And only the radio cuts off at those times... not the headlights or any other power that I know of whenever I make the initial shift/ flick of the KCs.

-
My battery gauge and my fuel gauge do not seem to be affected, so I don't think it is the dash cluster.

Any input/ideas?

Old 09-17-2007, 11:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright I think it all just comes down to the guages themselves.

Going to buy one of those three gauge clusters that have temp, pressure, and voltage and see how things read out then.

Quick Reply: New Alternator woes