Pre-1997 Models

Grrr.... more steering box problems 95 E150

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grrr.... more steering box problems 95 E150

OK,
I replaced the steering box seals again, this time I removed the box from the truck and removed the sector shaft. The first problem I encountered was that when I removed the sector shaft, I am not 100% sure I got it reinstalled in the correct position. I looked pretty closely at the sector shaft and steering gear, and it looked as though there is really only one way that makes sense for it to go together (center tooth on the sector shaft lined up with the center slot inside the box). The wheels were pointed straight, the steering wheel was straight and the pitman arm was pointed forward, so I think it was correct. Anyway, after reinstalling the box, the seal was holding fine, I cranked the wheels left, no problem, but when I turned them right, near lock it got tight and then the seal blew out. What I suspect happened is that the C clip that came with the seal kit was too small, so I stretched it. Could it be that the clip just let go, or could this be related to not getting the sector shaft clocked correctly? I just want to make sure I am not missing something before I go and reinstall the seal. Again.
thanks...

Quick Reply: Grrr.... more steering box problems 95 E150