Pre-1997 Models

Exhaust Mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 01:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Mods

Anyone have any recommendations for some cheap exhaust mods. I have a 93 F150 w/ 302 auto 4x4 stock exhaust. I'd like to cut the cats off with straight pipes, or hollow out the cats I have now and throw an aftermarket muffler on there for a little extra sound, mileage, and performance. I'd like to stick with the stock manifolds and y-pipe. Does anyone have any suggestions as fas as cheap modding goes? I'm not looking to get an aftermarket catback system. I'll probably stick with the stock pipe, just less restriction without the cats and a new muffler.

Old 09-13-2005, 08:08 AM
Firstly, I'd check with the local authorities, but in my country (U.S.A.) it's illegal to remove the cats. You can get a fairly inexpensive hi-flow cat for $50-60 and maybe a set of glass packs or an aftermarket muffler and clamp them in. Or have a local shop do the new pipes to the new components. Lots of people on this forum that have done it inexpensively have had shops custom pipe to new parts.

Old 09-13-2005, 08:15 AM
Late-model cats, like yours, flow well enough that you'll gain at most a couple of HP by gutting or removing them. If you're going to continue to breathe air, I suggest you leave them in place; you'll be better off all the way around. The stock small-diameter exhaust is somewhat restrictive and simply changing to an aftermarket muffler will only make the truck louder not quicker. If you want a better performing exhaust, you really should look at a high-flow cat and a larger diameter cat-back system. How large an exhaust depends on what other mods you have done or intend to do and on how you use the truck.

Old 10-01-2005, 04:31 AM
I just want cat-back duals. I guess flows eventually. good luck.

John

Old 10-01-2005, 08:54 AM
I had a local exhaust shop guy, who is great do my 92 with a 5.8 in it. I now has dual exhaust from the manifolds. He put a 2 in/ 2 out high flow cat on it and a 2 in/ 2 out flow master muffler on it and end it with 3in chrome tips. The truck is legal and has run the best it has ever. Also my gas mileage when up a little too.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Mods