Pre-1997 Models

Inner Door Handle and Door Skin BROKEN

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inner Door Handle and Door Skin BROKEN

Hi Guys,
Well I left the F150 at work the other night and had the grounds keeper move the truck into the shop for the night. The next day, when I got in it, I arrived at home in my driveway, and the inner door handle was loosey in the door panel. I grabbed it and it felt like it was totally NOT bolted to the door.

I rolled the window down to see what happened, and to my suprise, the mounting place where the door handle bolts onto the inner skin had broken off.

It looks like the grounds keeper had no idea how to open the door, so he just yanked on it. In any case, the truck has a lot of miles, so I dont expect him to be responsible for anything anyway.

IF you look where the door handle bolts on with the 10 mm bolt, the bolt and a piece of the sheet metal (approx 1/2" X 1/2") is broken from the inner door skin.

Has anyone had to deal with this? Replacing the door would be very costly, so I was considering having someone weld/reinforce that area, since when you open the door, you are 'pulling' on that part of the door.

Any advice?

Thanks
W

Old 09-06-2005, 08:14 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Get a plate welded in there.

Adrianspeeder

Old 09-06-2005, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well the problem starts from play in the peice the handle attaches too mine did the same thing and when mine did just as yours did i braised the plate back to the door and ordered a new peice from ford which only comes in a kit including all cables and other door latch parts for outter handle too came to 100 dollars. so when my other door did the same exact thing i came up with the plan of shortenin the inside door handle to make up for the play in the peice which worked just as well...Good luck

Daniel

Quick Reply: Inner Door Handle and Door Skin BROKEN