Pre-1997 Models

No start when warm.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No start when warm.

my buddy has a 1994 5.o xl that starts fine when cold but then when it warms up it wont start, unless he holds the pedal on the floor, and then it will sometimes start and sometimes flood itself out.... but once it cools down again it will fire right up....

i remember reading something like this on another post. but i cant find it with search...

thanks guys

Old 06-06-2005, 01:47 PM
Holding the pedal to the floor will not cause it to flood unless the TPS is out of adjustment. I suspect the problem is the tfi module, but it's hard to say for sure with your description. Need more details.

Old 06-06-2005, 02:12 PM
FWIW, if the ignition timing is too far advanced, it can cause diffiuclty in warm or hot starting.

Old 06-16-2005, 04:38 PM
Talking temp sender

my guess is its the coolant temp sender. when the engine is cold the ecm senses no problems but when it hot its still trying to start it like its cold and over fueling it. you can test it quickly with an ohm meter. you should see a pretty big change with it cold vs. hot. i dont remember the value off the top of my head but its a quick and cheap fix about 20$ at autozone. try to do it with the eng cool so you dont burn your hands on the hot coolant. it located in the same area as the thermostat just to the right and behind slightly. it has a two wire plastic plug and then it just unscrews. its a big size though i think over an inch but i could be wrong. bad thing about this is if its gone on long enough its put a ton of raw fuel into the cat possibly harming it as well as the oxygen sensor and/or egr valve. i would run a can of seafoam down the intake to try to clean out some of the carbon sure to be there from the excess fuel. let me know if this is it.

Quick Reply: No start when warm.