Pre-1997 Models

Rebuilding '90 5.8, can I junk the smog?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuilding '90 5.8, can I junk the smog?

I posted this in the "Engines" forum and thought I'd try this one also.

I've got a '90, F250, 5.8 with 240,000 miles. New tranny last year but otherwise unknown as I just bought it. Compression test shows 140lbs +/- 5. I will be towing a 6000lb boat/trailer 3200 miles this summer and am debating the longevity of the motor. I can get a new motor from the dealer for just under 2000.00 with pan/valve covers. I then wonder about the rest of the components. Since the area in Alaska I'm headed (and the truck will stay there) doesn't require smog, can I get rid of all the smog stuff? What can I remove and not affect computer operation? Can I just drop the engine in and run it with an aftermarket injection system or, will a carb/manifold fit on this block? Any issues then with the auto tranny? Any suggestions? I don't want to spend 2000.00 on a rebuild and then be nickeled and dimed on other parts that die off.....

Thanks,

Lance

Old 03-27-2005, 11:14 AM
exhaust

If you don't need the smog stuff you can add headers with a hole for the O2 sensor and just remove the catalytic converters and run larger diameter pipe, for some reason on the trucks the O2 sensor pulgs in before the catalytic converter so it wont matter if it is on there or not. As for the other stuff, if the engine runs fine now I wouldnt worry so much just make sure you keep the oil fresh and run some fuel system treatment, its up to you about the carb or FI.

Old 03-30-2005, 08:49 PM
If you take off the factory converters, you can get rid of the air pump. You will have to plug the ports that are in the back of each cylinder head, and you will either need to run a shorter belt in a different routing to bypass where the pump was. Or get the air pump eliminator pulley setup, I think ASP and Ford Racing make them, its simply a pulley that bolts in the location of the air pump so that you can keep the stock belt routing. You can plug all the EGR ports and stuff, get rid of the coffee can, and you pretty much cleaned up the engine bay.

Old 04-03-2005, 04:05 PM
SMOG

You will need to have those heads cleaned real well and open the exhaust ports up as they are very constrictive with the air injection port running thru the exhaust ports.I have done that to a few heads I have done for guys and it made a huge difference.
Yeah I am sure you can bolt a intake and carb on there but why when fuel injection is much more reliable and run so much better than a carb ever will.

Old 04-06-2005, 10:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just remember screwing around with emissions sometimes is a bad thing to do in some states...inspection stations frown on such practices from state to state and it could result in a bad day...builder beware...zap!

Quick Reply: Rebuilding '90 5.8, can I junk the smog?