Pre-1997 Models

Front Gas Tank Leaks (1994 F-150)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 04:02 PM
fab
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Gas Tank Leaks (1994 F-150)

I have 1994 F150 5.0. The front gas tank leaks and I only use the gas tank in the back. The other day I mistakenly hit the gas tank switch and was unable to start the truck, after I realized what I did I switched it back to the rear tank. Now the gas seems to be pumping into the front tank and leaking out. Why would this happen and is there a way to stop it?

Old 01-13-2005, 06:06 PM
Ford had a recall on that problem. Can't remember if your truck was affected. They put an anti-return valve on the supply line of the fuel pump. Best bet is that the front fuel pump is bad. The switch valve just turns on one pump or the other. There is nothing between, unless the pump is faulty.

Robbie

Old 01-14-2005, 10:19 PM
fab
I looks like the 1994 F150 fuel pump was not recalled. Can I just disconnect and drop the tank? If not about how much to replace the pump?

Thanks!
FAB

Old 01-15-2005, 09:20 AM
The Ford pump is about $250. It may also require you to change the plug where it hooks up. You could try to obtain the parts for that recall I was talking about. I think we still have some in stock. Someone comes in once in a while for the recall. Can't remember the recall number, however. The part is a one way check valve that is added onto the fuel pump outlet(pressure) line at the pump. The pressure side of the pump has the larger tube. Simply remove the fuel line and install the check valve to the pump and reinstall the fuel line. This will buy you a few years before you need to replace the pump.

Robbie

P.S. Let me know if you want me to try and get the part number for the check valves.

Quick Reply: Front Gas Tank Leaks (1994 F-150)