Pre-1997 Models

hub removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hub removal

hi, i have an '86 f150 4x4. i broke off two studs on one of the front hubs. can someone tell me how to remove this and what puller i need. thanks.

Old 05-17-2004, 10:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You need a set of allen keys to get the locking hub off, then there are 2 snap rings in ther. One on the axle shaft and the other holds the whole locking hub in, this one is big and a bit of a pain.

Then you need the 4 prong socket to take off the bearing retainers. Once thats off pull on the hub rotor assembly.
Take the trusty BFH and drive out the old studs, then put the new ones on. The best way to do it is with a few washers and an impact gun to pull them in, but it can be done by hand.

Old 05-17-2004, 10:45 PM
First, welcome to the site.

Second, you do not need a puller to get the front hub off. You need to get a special tool (called a "front wheel bearing spanner) to get the innards out of the hub. The tool looks like a cylinder with a 3/8 ratchet drive hole on one end and is notched on the other end. If I remember right, it was about $8-$10 from Schucks.

Your best be will be to get a Haynes manual (#880 80-91 Ford full-size) for the tear-down. It's not too difficult, but you would be better off getting the manual.

Hope that helps.

Old 05-17-2004, 11:00 PM
that helps immensely. i have an impact hammer. would there be any local place that would carry the spanner? i don't know what shuck's is, well actually i do. it's an oyster bar here, and i don't think they carry tools.

thanks alot for the help.

i got off the cap and a couple of springs, but stopped at the snap rings. diidn't even know they were there. i guess i should get closer and use a flashlight.

Old 05-17-2004, 11:02 PM
is this the tool?

Old 05-17-2004, 11:15 PM
Schucks=Kragen=Checker=Advance Auto Parts=Discount Auto Parts All the same.

The one in your picture looks like the right one, but a much more expensive unit. The one I had for my 85 F150 and 90 Bronco just had the 4 tabs on the one end and a 3/8" square hole (for the ratchet) on the other. The one in the picture looks like it has more than one use, but I don't know what (maybe for the t-case).

Old 05-17-2004, 11:29 PM
yeah, that one is ratcheting and both ends fit different years. i found it on etoolcar.com. it was $40. less than what pepboys wanted to do the work ($150), but more than i would like to pay.

thanks for the info. i might have more questions once i start to pull it apart tommorrow.

Old 05-18-2004, 08:35 PM
started hub removal. decided to replaced the hub/rotors. only $45 apiece. not bad.

got stuck at this point.

http://www.human2.com/perry/pieces.jpg

http://www.human2.com/perry/hub.jpg

anybody know why i can't get the hub body out?

Old 05-18-2004, 09:18 PM
It should just pull right out. Mine just all came out in one piece (I just sold it {285,000 miles} and replaced it with an '04. It should have been or should be possible to take that out without the locking hub assembly coming apart (Mine was a '93 though). This is probably not much help now though. Be sure and remove the locking ring after you get the lock assembly out. Look just (1/16th of an inch) inside the Hub. You should see a wire inside a groove in the hub. This will have to come out. Just in case, this is a good time to pack or replace your bearings and replace the seal.

Old 05-18-2004, 09:33 PM
yeah, i just found the snap ring in the groove in the hub. took awhile to get it out.

after that it all came apart with my handy new tool.

i am replacing the bearings. when i bought my bearings today i was also sold an oil seal ring. where does this go?

Old 05-18-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by pdrake
... when i bought my bearings today i was also sold an oil seal ring. where does this go?
The seal is on the backside of the rotor. When you put the new ones in the new rotor, use a socket that is as big as the seal's metal ring, and just lightly tap it in evenly.

Congrats on getting the old rotors off and good luck with getting everything back together.

Old 05-18-2004, 09:41 PM
okay, i think i figured it out. first the inside bearing then the seal.

well, i'm slowly figuring it out. one side took about two hours, hopefully the other side will only take about half an hour.

Old 05-18-2004, 09:58 PM
There is another way to get the seal out. I guess it's a matter of opinion as to whether or not it is any easier. Once everything is out but the hub is still on, put the threaded nut back on and turn 3 or 4 threads towards tighten, but do not tighten. Grab the rotor and pull towards you (maybe yank is better). This will leave the seal and the inner bearing on the spindle. Take the nut off, pull the rotor off, and there will be the seal and bearing.

Old 05-18-2004, 11:18 PM
i just put a new seal on. isn't that easier?

Quick Reply: hub removal