power steering noise... is it NORMAL??

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-1999, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JScott... I am going to another dealer next time... AND I'm going to ask them to check the pitman arm (s?). I don't know very much about them so I guess I'd better find out what I need to know! I don't want to live with this noise. In addition, I've got other noises, too.... a vibrating hum from underneath and a high pitched whine when I accelerate. If they can get out of fixing ONE noise, then they'll want to get out of fixing ALL of them. Anyway, good luck!

Old 11-22-1999, 12:19 AM
Cool

I get a little powering sound that I have gotten from various vehicles over the years. Nothing major or overly annoying though. I believe it is the fluid cavitating in the pump. I did make a very interesting discovery though. My 99 has a small cooler ( like a radiator only much smaller) that is in the power steering fluid lines. It is mounter in front of the AC condenser. I'm just wondering if the 97 and 98's have this or is this a quasi fix to reduce the boiling fluid.

------------------
99, XL, SC, SB, auto, 4.6L, 255x70R16, 3.55LS, 2wd, Med Tor, Dk Grph, Raider LoRider Tonneau,

More to come!

Old 12-03-1999, 11:56 PM
My power steering seems loud too. I also took it in and said it was normal. I am thinking of putting synthetic fluid in there to see if that reduces the noise. I will report back when I get this accomplished, (after the 1st of the year)

Has anyone else tried this??

Old 05-26-2001, 12:31 AM
I have got the same Noise.... Did you ever get the pitman replaced??? Did it solve the problem. My dealer has offered to replace the pitman however, he says the TSB on the Pitman is for a different noise?????? He also offered to replace the PS pump and lines, however said "it will not fix the problem, I have done it a half a dozen times"!!! He also said the noise is the fluid going through the lines.. Any thoughts??

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KFincher:
JScott... I am going to another dealer next time... AND I'm going to ask them to check the pitman arm (s?). I don't know very much about them so I guess I'd better find out what I need to know! I don't want to live with this noise. In addition, I've got other noises, too.... a vibrating hum from underneath and a high pitched whine when I accelerate. If they can get out of fixing ONE noise, then they'll want to get out of fixing ALL of them. Anyway, good luck!</font>

Old 06-03-2001, 02:13 PM
Synthetic fluids will reduce fluid flow noises. These things are just plain noisy

Old 06-05-2001, 02:48 PM
My power steering is STILL making noise! The mechanics on visit 2 to the dealer commented "extremely loud whining" and replaced the pump... on visits 1, 3, and 4 they say "not duplicated at this time", "no problem found", and "noise normal".

I guess I need to go drive other people's trucks because I just don't think that noise is normal. It is a whine/gurgle noise and I can't hear it when the AC is on high and I have the CD player turned on... (I know, I know, just keep the AC on high and jam down to the music). Really, I'm trying to find out what the truth of the matter is. If anyone has the same trouble, please email me. I'd really feel much better if I could find out. I'm contacting the service manager tomorrow but it won't do any good since he's the one that said "noise normal" on the invoice. HELP!!???
</font>

Old 06-05-2001, 02:52 PM
As the saying goes "we build them Ford tuff, not quiet"

Old 06-05-2001, 07:48 PM
JScott... I am going to another dealer next time... AND I'm going to ask them to check the pitman arm (s?). I don't know very much about them so I guess I'd better find out what I need to know! I don't want to live with this noise. In addition, I've got other noises, too.... a vibrating hum from underneath and a high pitched whine when I accelerate. If they can get out of fixing ONE noise, then they'll want to get out of fixing ALL of them. Anyway, good luck!</font>
The pitman arm is the piece that connects from the output of your steering box to the steering linkage. You can find the steering box by following the steering arm from the firewall on down to the box. Some older cars have a second arm on the other side of the car called an idler arm. It doesn't do anything but pivot.

BTW, mine does make noises like that as well. They aren't very loud and it's definately quieter than the older style pump on my old truck. If you can hear it with the windows up and the radio at a normal level, I'd say it's too loud. You have to turn off the radio to hear mine.

------------------
2000 F150 XLT 4x4 Short Bed. Amazon Green, 5.4L, SuperCab, ORP, Tow Package, Sliding Rear Window, Electronic Shift, Keyless Entry, LT265-70-17 Tires, Clarion Pro Audio, Herculiner Bedliner, Air Silencer Removed.

1994 SVT Mustang Cobra. #1032 of 6009. Black coupe with black leather int., 3.73 rear, Bassani Exhaust, Aluminum D/S, Bridgestone RE-71 255-45-ZR17

My Home Page

Old 06-06-2001, 03:51 PM
I agree, it seems normal.. although annoying. Mine sounds like two mice doing the nasty. Plus, I've heard it on two of my coworkers' 150s. Truth be told, I had assumed it was just cavitation in the hydraulic circuit that was making the noise.. I'll try greasing the pitman arm tonight.

Old 06-08-2001, 03:08 PM
my and my dad's trucks both have this noise, as did the other 2 that we test drove before i got mine... i think its just normal...

------------------
2001 F-150 XL SWB
4.2L 5-spd, 3.55

Other Cars:
(Dad's truck)
2001 F-150 SuperCrew XLT, 5.4L, Towing Package w/wrong radiator.

(Former - RIP)
1994 Honda Civic DX Hatchback, 1.5L, 5-spd. Shared it with my sister in high school... recently totaled when she was driving with only 1 contact lens in.

(Roomate's Project Car)
1983 Chevy Camaro
383 Stroker, Tremec T-5, 4.10, AFR Heads, Edelbrock Intake, custom cam, etc... ~500 hp (not quite built yet)

(Girlfriend)
1997 Saturn SL(ow)
Breaks down alot... also equipped with firestone death-tires as we found out a couple of weeks ago while going 75 mph... luckily she managed to pull it off the highway safely.

University of Texas at Austin, Class of 2001

Old 06-11-2001, 07:40 AM
Hi gang!

Hey I just bought a brand new 2001 (566 miles) The power steering noise is NORMAL. A freind of mine works at the local dealership and its the fluid transfer "whooshig" noise you hear when you turn the wheel at low speeds. Its normal mine does it.....everyones does. No problems with it at all. Unless you start hearing a sqeak or whine......the "whoosh" is normal sound :-)

I hope this helps ya out!

Mark

------------------

2001 Lariat
Green/Tan
4x4 Supercab
5.4L, Class III
Offroad pkg :-)

Mods:
Bug deflector (so far)

Old 06-15-2001, 04:51 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ruune:
I agree, it seems normal.. although annoying. Mine sounds like two mice doing the nasty. Plus, I've heard it on two of my coworkers' 150s. Truth be told, I had assumed it was just cavitation in the hydraulic circuit that was making the noise.. I'll try greasing the pitman arm tonight.

I have the Pitman problem too. I read where you can shoot some grease under the boot with a needle fitting attached to a grease gun and tried that a week ago. It didn't help so I shot another dose last night. This did the job! If you try this, don't be stingy with the grease.
</font>

------------------
TRUCK:
1997 F150 4X4 LARIAT
OFF ROAD
TOW PACKAGE
B&W GOOSENECK HITCH
SHORT BED
RAM STEPS
2500# HELPER SPRINGS
5.4 L

Old 06-27-2001, 11:04 PM
In defence of the dealer.
Here is what happened to me. My power steering was very quiet (much quieter than others I have heard). When I installed my mile marker winch (which uses the power steering pump) it made no difference. For a cleaner installation, I later had the new lines shortened. The new fitting installed by the hose company was the same as original except it was a different brand. I have had the power steering noise ever since. Switch back to an original line and the noise goes away.

I don't know for an absolute fact exactly what is causing the noise, but I do know it isn't always as simple as an incompetent dealer. Maybe very slight changes in line length or fittings (within OE specs) can affect resonance within the system. I simply do not know and I don't expect my dealer to either.

[This message has been edited by stuck screw (edited 06-27-2001).]

Old 06-29-2001, 10:35 PM
Thumbs up

Wow, this was an OLD thread to wake up!

I think there are 2 different things being talkd about here, well at least back in 1999 when this thread was started.

The power steering pumps are just noisy. I put Mobil 1 ATF in mine (changed it 2 times in about 500 miles just to get it cleaned out) and it is much quieter. Stil makes noise but not nearly as much.

I got a turkey baster (Tip from a post here) and a piece of rubber hose that fit snuggly on the end. Sucked out the fluid in the res. and refilled with Mobil 1. Did it twice. Took about 15 minutes to do each time.

Give it a try!

------------------
2000 EDDIE BAUER EXPEDITION 4x2
--&gt;Follow Me...&lt;--

Old 07-07-2001, 03:49 AM
Mine was making the noise till I found out it was the ball joints and tie rod ends etc... not being greasable. Went to the parts store bought a $2.00 grease siringe and greased everything through the boots. No more whining pump. Everything was just binding up. It's cheaper than replacing everything with greasable parts.

Quick Reply: power steering noise... is it NORMAL??