Odd noise and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odd noise and vibration

I have searched the forum and could not find anything that sounds like my problem so I apologize if this is covered somewhere else.

I have a 2000 F150 4x4 with 90,000 miles. I have a noise that sounds like a worn tire, it's rhythmic, kinda of a whoop whoop sound that gets faster and louder the faster you go. It starts at 5mph. I have swapped tires around but it always seems to come from the left front wheel. I replaced the tie rod ends and ball joints today, afterward it got worse. Front and rear drive shaft U-joints are all good. I also know that you cannot hear the noise from outside since my dad thought it would be funny to have me run beside the truck while he drove it. I'm thinking possibly the half shaft or the wheel bearing. I have thought of pulling the half shaft and driving it around the block to see if that changes anything. Any thoughts or advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jason

Old 02-28-2015, 08:04 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Last edited by MGDfan; 03-06-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree it needs an alignment, but I did a backyard alignment and it tracks straight. I lifted the front end this morning and turned each wheel by hand. The left wheel has a ratcheting feeling while the right wheel is smooth, so I think it's a wheel bearing going bad. Ordered a new one from Rock Auto so hopefully it's here on Wednesday.

Quick Reply: Odd noise and vibration