4X4 floor shifter

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4X4 floor shifter

I went to put into 4 hi and when it did i wanked the stick right out of the floor.
I went under to look and the bolt that holds it to the linkage broke off. Can someone tell me if the nut is welded on because i cannot move it and i can't tell if its welded due to rust. An exploded view would be great of the 4x4 likage setup for a 97. I was laying in 2" of ice water trying to see what happened and now i know. I just cannot see if the nut is welded in place or not.
Thanks guys.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:16 AM
https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...loded-view.gif
im not sure but here is your exploded diagram,use the zoom feature on your computer Ctrl + and Ctrl -. i hope this helps

Last edited by off road dude; 12-30-2008 at 01:36 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:31 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by buckdropper
I went to put into 4 hi and when it did i wanked the stick right out of the floor.
I went under to look and the bolt that holds it to the linkage broke off. Can someone tell me if the nut is welded on because i cannot move it and i can't tell if its welded due to rust. An exploded view would be great of the 4x4 likage setup for a 97. I was laying in 2" of ice water trying to see what happened and now i know. I just cannot see if the nut is welded in place or not.
Thanks guys.
There are 4 screws, Philips head, in the floor shift lever boot. Remove them and the boot. There are 4 bolts, 10mm, holding the shift lever cover. Remove them and the cover. You should now be able to clearly see the linkage and the welded nut.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
I see that the nut is in fact welded to the linkage. I tried to drill it out and did a crap job and drill bit exited out the side of the nut. I removed the shifter from the truck and drilled another hole below the one that has the nut welded to it and tried to bolt another just below it. But each time i try to shift into 4x4 it simply loosened the nut and bolt i put in. Does this nut need to be welded in order to work properly.???????

HELP

Old 01-06-2009, 01:11 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Use a bigger nut and bolt and a lock washer on the factory hole.

Quick Reply: 4X4 floor shifter