New radio install help

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 06:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New radio install help

I`m going to be putting a new Alpine or Kenwood unit in my uncles 97 (5/97 build) F150 this weekend as a early X-mas gift and was wondering if anyone has answers to a couple question.

The metra site doesn`t list a wiring adapter for this model year. I have a spare wiring harness from my install in mine but it says 98-up so I cant use it. Anyone have a Metra part number or another maker that has this? The local Best Buy said to bring truck in and they would match it up but the truck is in VA and that makes it not possible to do.

Is the radio mounted the same way as in a 2000 model so all I will need is the standard install kit from metra or are there any different parts needed.

Thanks for any help guys as its hard to look at the truck to know when its not here and my Uncle as smart as he is in other things probably would have a hard time figuring out what I neede to know.

Old 12-06-2001, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The wiring harnesses for the current-gen F-150 trucks I believe break down two ways: one harness for the '97 and '98 models and one for the '99-'02 models. There is an easy way to tell them apart...the older harness is long and rectangular and has one row of pins and the newer one is bigger and square and has several rows of pins. The older one will have a second harness for the speakers or amps (if equipped) and the newer one has all the wires in the main harness except for the CD-Changer wiring which has it's own plug. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: New radio install help